BRISSY

First attempt of a marine tank

Hello, this is a plan for my first marine setup attempt. I got a aquaworld tl550 128L all in one tank. First think I did was rip out the T5s out of the hood. I wanted LEDs and I ordered a cheap one from an American website. It never arrived:frusty: so I got my money back. I ended up getting a maxspect g2-400 160w unit. Fairly old but it hasn't been used much apparently:der:. The LEDs are clip in so easy to replace as well. It has:

2x 30w whites

14x 3w Cree whites

14x 3w Cree blues

4x 3w violets

Each of these is on a separate circuit and programable timer for each one. At the moment the timer is on:

Blues/violets- 7am-9pm

3w whites 9am-7pm

30w whites 11am-1pm

Heater: Jagar 100w? Or should I got 150w? I got both spare here ready to go anyway...

I use ro water from a PSI filters 4 stage RODI unit.

The skimmer I also replaced with a much larger one, seems to be doing the job.

I plan to just start off with some cheap softies and then if they thrive I'll try some hps and then sps. But that's only if everything goes well lol. Fish I plan on getting a goby and pistol shrimp 'pair' as watching a symbiotic relationship would be rather interesting and a bit different from the usual clowns :boxing:

I've got live rock in the tank and it is cycling, I'll update with pictures in the next few days. :ranger:

Also any tips with things I'm doing wrong or things to be carful about ect would be awsome too :beer:

Edited by BRISSY

Sorry about bad quality... And I'll put up a pic of all on later when the 30w whites turn on.

Blues+ 3w whites

image1_zps49c636d2.jpg

Yup camera cant handle the blues lol. Doesnt look nearly that blue in real life.

3w blues

image2_zpsb8ef80e8.jpg

image_zps1489baea.jpg

Edited by BRISSY

Try open up the rock scape a bit more mate, you want water to be able to move through it.

You want as little touching other rock or sand as possible, and as much rock surface area exposed to water flow.

Even if you have to take a bit out, it will make for a more stable long term tank.

Try open up the rock scape a bit more mate, you want water to be able to move through it.

You want as little touching other rock or sand as possible, and as much rock surface area exposed to water flow.

Even if you have to take a bit out, it will make for a more stable long term tank.

agree with donny, also i would look at getting a chiller, more important than a heater is you want to have any coralmorphs/corals.

Ok I'll have a play around with it today.

agree with donny, also i would look at getting a chiller, more important than a heater is you want to have any coralmorphs/corals.

What sort of temp should it be at and what is too hot? I will look into getting a chiller...

my opinion is not to let temp go over 25 ,i would contact [MENTION=3166]liquidg[/MENTION] he is into marine and appears very nolagable on marine, A.O.A has the mini resun chiller that may suit that tank.

Ok sweet as. I just rearanged the rock so that they are barely touching each other or the sand beneath them. It's been cycling for about 1 and a half weeks, about another 3 before I should add the first fish yeh? As long as all the parameters are good? I don't want to rush it...

Yea you still want a stable rock hardscape tho, falling rocks are not what you want.

Also leave enough space around the outside to be able to use a magnet algae scraper.

I'd add a bit of fish food, so you have an ammonia spike you can track.

Once it turns to nitrite, and then you have 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite.... you are ready to add first fish.