Hi all, i'm wondering if you guys might be able to spare a second to help me out a little, i have aquired a mono peacock bass at 49cm i put him in a 5x2x28 tank with a fluval 304 canister (1000 lph) internal fluval 2000 lph, the tank was running fine i introduced him to the tank on tues last night went to bed at 1am tank was clear, woke up at 8 an it was nealy white could barley see the fish, amonia was off the card etc, i've relocated him to a mates tank, but i'm curious on if i have enough filtration for the big guy? Thanks

That's a big boy:)

Were there any fish in tank before he went?

A 304 is a bit small for that tank(personal opinion).

Might have over loaded the bio-load too quickly.

If u can't get your hands on a larger capacity filter, add 4 or so sponge filters to increase bio filtration.

Having said that, if u haven't got other fish in there, your bio filtration will at a low capacity.

Throw some feeder fish in to gear up bio. He can also have a snack when he goes back in.:)

That's a big boy:)

Were there any fish in tank before he went?

A 304 is a bit small for that tank(personal opinion).

Might have over loaded the bio-load too quickly.

If u can't get your hands on a larger capacity filter, add 4 or so sponge filters to increase bio filtration.

Having said that, if u haven't got other fish in there, your bio filtration will at a low capacity.

Throw some feeder fish in to gear up bio. He can also have a snack when he goes back in.:)

hey after reading your post this morning I went and checked on my fish at the fish shop he is back in good health :) I then went filtration crazy bought an aqua one 2700lph external canister and a 2000lph internal filter now the tank is crazy with flow lol, upon taking out the internal fluval I discovered it was actually only a 1000lph and this now explains why he was always gulping and didn't seem real happy he never had a lot of oxygen. thanks for the help I appreciate it :)

The tank is way to small for the PBass of that size, I keep 2 PBass in 8 x 2 x 2 and still think the tank is to small for them.

PBass are a very messy fish

I spoke with may different aquariums before purchasing the big fella and they all said provided I don't try to stick another pbass In that tank it's a good size, I have plans to get an 8x2x2 and a second female p bass to breed them later down the track, I think tank size comes down to personal opinion though...

Your filter bacteria needs time to cope with sudden increases in bioload. For big fish I would use a fluid bed filter for biological and a canister for mechanical. If you don't like fluid bed filters, look at a wet/dry filter for better biological filtration but these don't cope with sudden loads as well as fluid beds. Third best would be a full length undergravel filter for biological.

I spoke with may different aquariums before purchasing the big fella and they all said provided I don't try to stick another pbass In that tank it's a good size, I have plans to get an 8x2x2 and a second female p bass to breed them later down the track, I think tank size comes down to personal opinion though...

it is no personal opinion, a fish of that size that moves that fast and creates such amounts of waste deserves a bigger tank with better filtration.

it is no personal opinion, a fish of that size that moves that fast and creates such amounts of waste deserves a bigger tank with better filtration.

I don't wanna sound like a c#@t but he was in a 3 foot tank when I bought him so I think a 5x2x28 is a lot better, I also bought a 2700lph external canister and a 2000lph internal today I hope I have fixed the filtration problems...

Nice bass, He might be alright in there for awhile, but I would try and upgrade when you can, :)

thanks, yeah that's the plan I wanna set up a massive predator tank looking at getting a custom 1 built to suit the family room in my house but won't be for another 12 months or so until I save up some $$$$ lol