timmy82

Best Co2 system for a 8 x 2 x 2.5??

Hi just after some advice on what sort of systems work best and value for money to keep a large 8 x 2 x 2.5 planted comunity tank. I am currently running a ista disposible on it atm for the intrume till I dicide what will work best.

The tank has a sump filter too so would the Co2 be as effective difused directly in the sump?

I am running 4 x 4ft LED 10,000k seems to be performing better than the T5 HO 2x twin 3ft fixtures.

I am hoping to grow some ground cover plants but unsure wether it will be acheivable being 2.5ft tall? Also have the microbe-lift alive substrate.

Any coments more than welcome I haven't spent a lot of time with the planted tanks mostly breeding discus.

There shouldn't be a problem growing ground cover on a tank 2.5' deep so long as the lighting is up to the job.

I wouldn't recommend injecting into your sump. Far more efficient to go direct into the tank. On your setup i would think a couple of diffusers would do the job nicely.

If you'd like any more info feel free to shoot me a PM.

I would probably use a big gas cylinder (boc gases) and split the outlets, maybe one each end. At least one of the bubblers, I would have under a power inter filter as the impeller will smash the co2 into the water, lasting longer then just bubbling to the surface. You don't want too much turnover,surface aggitation. And be careful of the fish and oxy levels in tank. If you want some highlite plants, you can use led spotlights. I use leds for land plants and they smash the growth of plants. I accidentally bid on 4 of them and won but don't want them, haven't paid yet lol ($330) worth

Any excess growth and the catties clean that up.

Edited by thatsright99

Thanks all for your replies that has answered alot. :clap2: I have an account with BOC and was going to share the bottle with my home brew kegs too :-). Once I get it set up I will be monitoring the O2 levels with my D/o meter to make sure they stay up in acceptable %. I know the lights are 10,000 K x 4 1 out of the 4 is a Red White and blue LED i think they are around 180 led per 4' light. For where I want the grown cover I will see may need a LED spot. What difusers work best from what you have seen?

Thanks for the feed back so fast.

You need to be careful with large cylinders. Industrial size cylinders need to be used with proper ventilation due to the the dangers associated with using odorless and colourless gas that can be potentially lethal.

The amount of CO2 required for a high tech planted setup is pretty small in reality. A 2.6kg bottle should easily last 2 years at 3bps.

Get a permanent pH test kit (drop checker) to monitor your CO2 levels within your tank.

A couple of 2.5-3cm glass diffusers will do the job nicely.