Mitch86

I need a slap in the head.

Woke up this morning with a terrible thought, and unfortunately I was right... I forgot to turn on my canister filters after feeding a heap of blood worm yesterday on my 6 ft. They were off for about 16 hours. My Ammonia was .4 ppm and my nitrite about .3 ppm. Anyway I've done a 50% WC and there back down lowish. I might go get some stability and keep a close eye on it.

How many days can I go without feeding? Also being that the filters are probably fairly full of mulm and dirt, will I have killed all of my bacteria? (I have matrix packed tight in 2 trays).

If you have a big enough water container dechlorinate the water and run the canister into that first and check the Ammonia readings - if you have killed your bacteria it should give a high Ammonia reading. If you do get a high Ammonia reading you will probably not want that pumping into your tank.

You silly duffa. Clean out your filters lightly, if fish are struggling thetes a few things you can do. When u ad water use a bucket and hose the water into it to hyper oxygenated it and ad to tank, or 2 20 lt buckets and 3/4 fill one. Tip from one bucket to the other a few times then ad back to the tank and repeat a few times. (Trust me that works- doing that 3xs/day for a week for 15 tanks when we had the floods..)

Fish should be right without food for a week.

Too late for that a switched it on first thing this morning mate. The fish look happy since the WC, I just hope it's not going to be unstable for a long time, I might cut the food right back, they should be right to handle a feed every 3 days hey?

use the 5x dose of prime to the tank to lock up those nasties, and dose with the stability daily, would be doing a 25%-50% water change daily also,

fish will be fine to go un fed for atleast 4 + days while you bring things back under control.

Good advice i reckon..and yeah that advice about cleaning out the canisters prior is pretty important..look after the water mate thats your main issue...fish can do ok with no food for a little while so thats not your main drama...how about a slap with a dead fish? Lets hope not :dance:

I think I'm in the clear. Just tested it and parameters still looking good, I'll do another water change and and another lot of prime and stability tomorrow. All fish looking happy.

Hey Brent do you still have those really reddish Salvinis you picked up ages back?

So cleaned them yesterday, did another WC this morning double dose prime and stability and readings are good. Now it's a waiting game to see if i get another build up. Thanks for your help everyone. jazave3u.jpg