Sign in to follow this  
bsas2

Dissapearing B/n fry

Hi All,

Got a very confusing problem! Last night I placed about 60 b/n swimming eggs into a bubbler. This morning there was only 10, & an hour later, they where all gone. The bubbler is top & bottom mesh about 1/4 the size of the eggs, so there is no obvious way out. But it is now totally empty. Has anyone else had this problem & what do you do about it? I put the last lot in the fry saver tank insert, & an empress jumped the side & ate the lot. This is starting to be annoying :x:cry: . I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

John

Hi John,

Sorry to hear of your loss :( how frustrating that is... :urgh:

What else was in the tank with the bubbler?

It sounds to me like you have had fish &/or catfish suck them through the mesh.

If there are other fish in the tank it pays to put your bubbler or fry saver into another bigger net with a stone in the bottom to keep the fish from sucking them through the bottom of the bubbler or fry saver.

(Creates an outer barrier so the fish/catfish can't reach the base where the bubbies are resting)

Good luck with your next batch! :)

HTH,

Jaynee :flower:

Hi Jaynee,

They where in a tank with a colony of Red Empress & Taiwan Reef, plus mums & dad b/n.

You could be right, I did notice last night, that the bubs where hiding up under the top of the bubbler. I thought they where just trying to get away from the light. I have another lot of eggs waiting to hatch soon, so I wanted to fix the problem before they arrive. Might have to get a seperate fry tank.

Thanks, John.

Yes that's the safest best ;)

Just a little tiny tank will do & fill it with the water from the tank the babies were born in.

Then you shouldn't have any probs at all.

- I actually use a little plastic goldfish bowl & I float it in the top of the big tank.

The top is sealed as I only use enough water to float it up against the glass lids.

Put an air bubbler in it & that's it. Temp is perfect as is in same tank.

I do a little water change by tipping the bowl a little each day to freshen the water.

Too easy ;)

I use this method for bristlenose, electric yellows etc.

Soon as there is a tiny tail off the egg sack they're in the bowl. :lol:

Jaynee :flower:

Sign in to follow this