ROAR99

new tank cycle

just got a new 4x2x2 approx 400L

going to use 200L of water and external canister filter from my existing runing tank,

given that, would it be o,k to put fish in after only 2days of cycling?

oh yeah im on tank water (for the other 200L) so no crappy chlorine town water

cheers

Don't leave your external canister filter off for too long, don't clean it just swap straight over from old to new and I would put fish in as soon as the temp is right, reason being if you run a cycled filter on a clean tank with no bio load for 2 days is the bacteria will die off from lack of food, (ammonia) and then it will not handle it once fish are in. Try use a bit of dirty substrate from another tank too. Test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate morning and night and water change as per needed.

Thanks people's,

Il get the tank runing in the morning then throw fish in in the arvo,

I see what u mean about the existing filter won't get fed without fish waste

Cheers

I would put the fish in as soon as the temp is right. 200L of used water and the filter will be fine. I have used 25% used water and filters a few times and have never had a problem.

That's what I said Mq camo fish in as soon as the temps right then I said test water parameters. Meaning after the fish are in. Anyway looks like its unanimous mate, go for it ;)

Have used existing filters and 100% new water on a holding Tank when I last did a move and had no issues at all and then used the media out of them into my sump on the bigger tank again with 100% new water and had no issues.

Majority rules :)

Everything from existing tank in at the same time and get it crankin!!

Then do a few tests,, I guess from th replys the only reason for prolonged cycles

Is if everything is new.. cheers people's