Sign in to follow this  
buck

Calcium reactor turned fluid bed filter.

Hey guys so I'm turning a calcium reactor (came with my co2 cylinder) in to a fluid bed filter for a tank I'm setting up for shrimp breeding, ill eventually add a chiller to the system as well:ballchain:.

Just seeing what sand people would recommend to use in a fbf. I'm thinking pool filter sand but there is few types so I thought I'd see what people use and like.

The first filter will be made from the main reactor and ill be blanking off the holes I don't need and ill put some corse filter foam At the bottom to keep the sand running in to the base. Ill be running the water though a little (11/12 L/min) iwaki magnetic pump.

post-9288-14711630605782_thumb.jpg

It crossed my mind to not use sand and use k1 or something similar, if someone with more experience with fbf wants to chime in and give some hints and advise that would be great.

Edited by buck

From what I've researched, there much of a muchness and its a personal choice thing. I dug up an epic debate from early last year (on QLDAF) that ended badly, but the moral was ones the original and a bit more expensive, the others a slightly different shape with "34" more surface area (didn't mean much to me when it's 800 vs 834) and is cheaper.

With out bringing the sponsors in to it

that said I'd be keen to hear people's personal experience based opinions :)

Will it be up-flow or down-flow? I would be worried about getting sand into the pump if it is upflow. Have you considered floating media instead? 3mm raw plastic grannules are about $50 for a 25 kg bag? May have been $50 for 4 bags...? These pictured have specific gravity of 0.97 so almost neutral but buoyant and fluidise wonderfully. The same raw material that is used for K1 media.

DSCF4332Large.jpg

DSCF4497Large.jpg

i hadn't, mostly because i hadnt hurd of it haha. that stuff looks pretty cool. so does it float around and get tumbled by air like k1? or is it more like a sand bed?

it would depend on the media to how it would flow. but most of my ideas have the over flow going in the top and the bottom flowing back to the tanks? i havnt built any thing like this or used anything like this, baring canister filters, so its pretty up in the air and open to ideas?

if i use sand i would have some filter foam at the bottom to stop the sand falling all the way to the bottom.

If its k1 it shouldnt matter to much as it will be tumbling around and the plastic screen that is built in to the towers im using will be enough to stop it going near the pump. There are holes in the top of the tower i can use to run the air lines in and they will alow air to escape. if i go with a sand bed i would block those off and it would be sealed where a k1 would need to vent.

im pretty sold on the k1/ boss idea atm, its simple and effective.

Edited by buck

I have no idea to be honest. An issue that was mentioned was most sands have calcium carbonate in them and will raise ph. so yeah I dont want that to happen more of the reason im leaning towards k1 but these plastic beads have me curious.

Sign in to follow this