smith12

Best way to get ph up on afican tanks?

Hi guys just wondering if can tell me the best way to get the ph up?

And on fry tanks ect? Been told limestone but not sure where to buy it?

Any info would be good cheers

I like to worry about hardness and you pH will follow.

Age of Aquariums - Aquasonic Carbonate Hardness Generator 1kg

This stuff is good stuff for general africans.

Or this:

Aquasonic Riftlake Water Conditioner 1Kg

or even this, that includes a cholinre neutraiser and is a one stop shop for africans:

Start Right 1Kg African Cichlid Rift Lake Salt

Lots of options at our sponsors.

edit:

Just saw Donny replied the same way - I got distracted by kids and dinner and stuff......

I will add that it is easier to control the hardness and hence pH with a buffer than coral sand as I found out painfully..... depending on the number of water changes coral sand can take too long, shell grit I an told acts quicker..... For tangs I have different ideas.

Edited by gingerbeer

Like rob (ozmo) said, crushed coral is the way to go, makes a mighty fine filter media and buffs the ph. I havnt had any dramas maintaining 7.2-7.5 ph with corals in filters and bare bottoms. I don't keep Africans so I'm not sure what ph you guys try to maintain.

The "best" way to rise pH in an aquarium is to use sodium carbonate which can be found in Seachem Malawi/Victoria Buffer or API Buffer Max Cichlid. Another option is sodium bicarbonate which is one of the cheapest options for rising pH in an aquarium. Although, a better use for bicarbonate is to mix 1.0 gram with 1.0 gram Sodium phosphate dibasic to 100 ml of water to maintain pH level.