Cazoking

Scumtree bad fish keepers

Look at all these fools on gumtree, I find it sad that they buy 4 oscars and a barramundi and then put it in a 3 foot fish tank :frusty: they should do there research before buying fish that can grow very large. I found one a couple days ago where someone had 3 oscars in a 2 foot fish tank. I mean seriously how bad can they get? its a good thing they are selling them though, but they should never have put them in there in the first place.

some examples:

Oscar | Fish | Gumtree Australia Brisbane North East - Chermside West | 1035439461

twin deck fish tank stand | Fish | Gumtree Australia Cairns City - Bungalow | 1035464670

post all the links of bad fish keepers please. It is very interesting to see what they are doing.

Humans were never designed to be in small tanks either, yet here I am, sitting alone in my small office space just like an oscar in a 1" tank.

I'll spend most of my life in a small box whether I like it or not. My fish have a better life than I do :P

Edited by Cudders

Oh poor baby... lol :P ( would I be correct in saying at least you have a job? )

I just fill by briefcase with crackers and head to any old office to pass the day :D

we all know that some people have no idea when it comes top keeping fish. Before we start slagging them out how about you try educating them first. Simply reply to there adds with a link to basic fish care or even better do a thread up here on basic fish care *include notes on research your fish and reply to there adds with a link to that.

Yeh ,like I said,BE PROACTIVE!!

And if the LFS is to blame at least educating your "bad fishkeepers" will perhaps conclude it didn't have their best interests at heart.

Yeh Ive emailed them and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Hopefully I can persuade them to get a larger tank for the next time they get an oscar,barramundi or any large growing fish.

Maybe the mods should put up a link with something like a data sheet with max size and minimum tank sizes , water perameters and tankmates. im sure we could get a good list up in no time

There seems to be a healthy variety of fish kept on here .sure would help the newbies out

Maybe the mods should put up a link with something like a data sheet with max size and minimum tank sizes , water perameters and tankmates. im sure we could get a good list up in no time

There seems to be a healthy variety of fish kept on here .sure would help the newbies out

Yeh billfish Im thinking of making one up my self

Problem is some of the shops just want your money ,they have to turn a profit

About 8months ago I was at a wedding in Melbourne and went into a store where a guy was buying a 5 or 6 foot tank and all the goodies that went in it ,he was being told 3/4of 5/8 of f all about setting up except putting dechlorinator in he had all the remedies

for any disease or illness you could imagine but was fully stocking it with angels neons black widows rams and a heap of catties

Any way long story short he was leaving same time as me so I butted in told him to get a test kit and explained the nitrogen cycle and what to watch out for and why you always use tank water to clean out sponges and told him to look up on the net even mentioned this forum !!! Some shops still have that get your cash mentality not get a bit now and more with return business at least I haven't seen that up here

I agree billfish a lot of pet shops just want your money. Thats why I always buy fish from a guy that breeds and sells his fish in a large shed outside his house because he always tells the truth, he has clean tanks and once a man came in and said he wanted a barramundi for his 3ft fish tank and the breeder did not let him buy one and instead redirected him to more suitable fish for that size tank.

most lfs would get tired though of recommending suitable tankmates / species / growth rates and your average customer doesn't care they want "that one and that one" after a while that must play on them constantly falling on deaf ears so it's easier to just grab a bag and net catch it out.

I agree billfish a lot of pet shops just want your money. Thats why I always buy fish from a guy that breeds and sells his fish in a large shed outside his house because he always tells the truth, he has clean tanks and once a man came in and said he wanted a barramundi for his 3ft fish tank and the breeder did not let him buy one and instead redirected him to more suitable fish for that size tank.

Not so easy for the beginner then they give up in frustration

Ok. 2 things... 1 people will buy what they WANT despite what you (and every other staff member) tells them. If they want ? Fish but it won't go with what they have already, they go to the next shop and buy it anyway.

2nd... these days there a thing called the internet and its easy to look up the fish and info about whatever you want to buy. So, now its easier 4 the buyer to see the compatible fish. ( yes I know there's variations to the rules ect, but its a very good start)

its up to you to make the inferences that I'm not saying

Ok. 2 things... 1 people will buy what they WANT despite what you (and every other staff member) tells them. If they want ? Fish but it won't go with what they have already, they go to the next shop and buy it anyway.

2nd... these days there a thing called the internet and its easy to look up the fish and info about whatever you want to buy. So, now its easier 4 the buyer to see the compatible fish. ( yes I know there's variations to the rules ect, but its a very good start)

its up to you to make the inferences that I'm not saying

So true. Sadly... The very least you could do as a customer service person is give your honest opinion.. : It may be OK but.... odds are pretty damn high that this barramundi will eat everything I sold you previously.... look I'll show you... hehe

Lots of people picking up juvenile monsters without ever realising how big they actually get.

"Cute $14 barramundi sure do look good for my 5L fish bowl... I hope my Betta doesn't hurt him"

Lots of people picking up juvenile monsters without ever realising how big they actually get.

"Cute $14 barramundi sure do look good for my 5L fish bowl... I hope my Betta doesn't hurt him"

Well they do call bettas fighting fish!!!!!!

Well reality is pet shops are out to sell because they have a business to run. When you buy a car they don't tell you how to drive it , where to put oil and water but if you ask they will tell you. Not defending all pet shops as I've had some dogey advice from some. I think education these people is a great idea but I still think it's the buyers responsibility to educate them self roan extent before buying a fish or any animal

Just my two cents, you can't blame the LFS, you can only blame the owner. Unless you're a total idiot, you wouldn't buy a car and trust the dealers word, you wouldn't buy a TV without researching if it was going to meet your needs, so in effect only the purchaser is to blame for not doing their research on the proper needs of the animal. It's common knowledge that no matter what business it is, they're job is to sell you stuff so the person at fault can only be the owner for not doing the research. Like I said, just my two cents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I am a little more philosophical and just take the view of people are like fingerprints and everyone is different and you can not put everyone in the same box.

You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink and it is better to try and fail than not try at all.

You win some - you loose some and all you can do is your best.

At least this way I do not walk away disappointed and when you have a win - you feel good about it.

I am a little more philosophical and just take the view of people are like fingerprints and everyone is different and you can not put everyone in the same box.

You can lead a horse to water but you can not make it drink and it is better to try and fail than not try at all.

You win some - you loose some and all you can do is your best.

At least this way I do not walk away disappointed and when you have a win - you feel good about it.

Deep lol :rofl: