jesse

Advice for oscars

i am new to oscars so dont no a huge amount about them, what do i need to know? can i have few tank mates with them? any information would be appreciated!

You can have tankmates, you'll have better success raising them together, adding anything to a tank with big oscars is asking for trouble.

Most important thing with an oscar tank is filtration- have a look at the reccommended filtration for your aquarium size, and add another 50%..they're messy eaters, they move everything around, and they're prone to hole in the head disease.

As mentioned excellent filtration is required, as well as a big enough tank to house them, they grow very quickly.

Hole in the head shouldn't be a problem if you keep the tank clean and water changes up, other than that they are quite an easy fish to keep, fun too.

As for tank mates, I had a Pleco, 2 green terrors and a flower horn, I started them as juvies and they grew up together so aggression was low, occasionally they would have a little fight but nothing to worry about, they were also in a 6 foot tank