I have a discus tank and have been using aged water when doing water changes. The other day I discovered the python no spill clean and fill on the the internet.

My tap water has a ph of 7 and aged water has a ph of 7.6.

Can I switch to using the python or would it be better to continue aging water? Was just looking for a easier way to do water changes!

I thought the Python was just a way of doing water changes. Keep doing the ageing with the water. - Just had a look on the net and I think the the part that they are talking about is the using a hose you might get leaching from the hose itself but I do not think it will do anything in the way of dechlorinating.

The python uses venturi off your tap to suck which works (especially good for low tanks and inground ponds) but fairly wasteful with tap water. You still need to dechlorinate if filling from tap. You could use a bilge pump or powefhead to remove water more efficiently.

I have an imported Python from USA for sale with spare pump you could have for $80. What I do is get the emptying part started by using the tap pressure and 20 seconds later remove the hose from the tap & place it down low so it empties on it's own - need to have room up higher than where you're placing the hose down i.e. mid to high set, otherwise just continue to use the tap pressure to empty.

They are FANTASTIC, I could do 50% water changes in a jiffy on 3 x 4' tanks and multiple smaller ones without getting a drop of stray water anywhere, much less the floods I used to get ;) Was the best day of my life the day I threw away ever bucket, bin and pump!!!

I could never work out why there was never a Distributor for these in Oz, they'd make a bloody killing on these things if importing by the container. You buy them for around $140 over there, plus $50 minimum in shipping so we need an Aussie willing to take them on.

Thanks for the responses. I guess I'm mainly wanting to know if I were to start using the python, I would be using tap water which has a different ph to my aged water, so would that affect my discus in a negative way?

I've read that discus prefer a ph below 7, but have been ageing my aquarium water to keep the ph and temp stable. So is it better to keep ageing my water which has a ph of 7.6 or just use water from the tap (I use prime aswell) which has a ph of 6.8/7?.

You can buy all the generic parts for a python from the internet and youtube has instructions on how to build it. I think the tap adapter is $6 aud to buy on ebay and about the same to ship, everything else you can get at bunnings,I am gonna have a go and will report back here. I agree that they are very wasteful on water, but that is the yanks for you, anyone ever seen their toilet basins? They are three times the capacity of one of ours and fill right to the top before emptying, scared the hell out of me first time I used one, but you see they don't like the smell and prefer to waste 3 times as much water instead. Soft as…..

Pets International are the Australian distributors for Python. Ask your LFS to contact Pets Int if you want one.

The Python is mostly used for draining but since it's already connected to the tap, it's easy to fill with it too. You don't have to though. Just use stored water to fill if you want.

For those who are not efficient at starting a gravity siphon, there are also small inline hand pumps you can connect to one end of the hose. No sucking required although you have to be pretty un co-ordinated to get mouthfuls of water IMO.

Edited by aquaholic99

Over a year ago, I was also looking for an easier way to do water changes on my discus tank. I ended up getting an Aqueon Water Changer 50ft from Amazon. It works the same way as the Python. It makes water changes very easy, but it does waste a lot of water. So I bought a Hailea wet/dry pump and attached it in-line (near where the water changer attaches to the tap). When I want to remove water from the tank, I turn on the tap for about 10 seconds to start the suction process, then turn on the pump and turn off the tap. Works great. When I want to re-fill the tank, I just flip the lever on the water changer, and turn on the tap (with the pump switched off obviously). I just add Prime straight into the tank while water is filling. Been doing this for over a year with no noticeable adverse effects on the fish. Simple :)

Disclaimer: the water that comes from the tap in your area may be different to mine (Brisbane south side). So take the above with a grain of salt. Although I don't believe discus are as delicate as some people make them out to be. As long as your ph is stable, I think they will be fine.

Edited by watfish

Thanks everyone!!

I think I will ask my question about ph in a new thread!

Darrell - thanks for sharing your idea with the pictures. very helpful!

My diy water change kit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46080[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46081[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46082[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46083[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]46084[/ATTACH]

Thanks

Darrell

Just wondering what parts you used to make this? Also does it pick up the much from the gravel or just siphons out water?

Hi elite

All parts are from bunnings i used 15mm poly risers 1x300mm 1x150mm 1x50mm

2x15mm female elbows 1x15mm end cap 1x15mm female x 25mm male adaptor

1x12mm hose fitting 1x12mm hose joiner 16mm clear tubing

No it does not pick up any gravel

Need more info just ask

Thanks

Darrell

Edited by Darrell

My tanks live in the garage and the closest indoor water source is in the laundry. Because the laundry spout is one of those swivel types with a non threaded tip, I use one of these adapters and simply clip a garden hose to it to do my refills. Bunnings sell them for about $6.

post-3726-14711633451043_thumb.jpeg

Hi elite

No it does not pick up any gravel

Darrell

but does it pick up the muck/dirt that sits in the gravel (to clean the gravel) coz at the moment I use a siphon to do the water transfer and at the same time clean out the junk sitting amongst the gravel.

Hi elite

No it does not it pick up the muck/dirt that sits in the gravel it was never designed to do that

It just siphons the water out to preset level (Pic 3)

I just run the open end of the hose out into the yard give the hose suck and it starts to siphon

When that is done i connect the hose to the pump and drop the pump into a 120lt storage drum

and refill the tank all pretty easy for me

Thanks

Darrell

Sorry I missed that bit in the photo. Can I ask how people do clean the gravel if not with a water change? I am assuming there are other ways of doing it?