WhiteTip

8x3x2.5ft glass aquarium questions.

Hey guys, first post, first question :) I'm looking at getting an 8x3x2.5ft tank built and noticed quite a few guys here have them. I was wondering if anyone with one would be willing to divulge how much the "tank only" cost them to give me a bit of a ball park figure to run with. This should also help should I come across any rip offs out there.

Thanks in advance,

Michael.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

For an 8 foot long by 2 foot wide by 3 foot high tank I was quoted $2000 tank only, or $2500 with a steel stand. Definitely did not pursue that one haha let me know where you get it done and I'll tag along for a cheap deal myself!

For an 8 foot long by 2 foot wide by 3 foot high tank I was quoted $2000 tank only, or $2500 with a steel stand. Definitely did not pursue that one haha let me know where you get it done and I'll tag along for a cheap deal myself!

Try sending an email for qoute from them (likely you'll know which online builder already).

xxxxxx

Sent: Monday, 9 September 2013 8:55 PM

To: Edwin

Subject: Re: Tank

Hi Edwin,

Thanks for contacting us, it is much appreciated, I'm sorry for the slow reply.

I can do a 8ft (l) x 3ft (w) x 2.5ft (h) for $1315.

I hope this price helps out with your decisions, thanks again,

xxxxx

On Mon, Aug 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Edwin wrote:

Hi xxxx,

Just wondering how much to build an 8x3x2.5ft (LWH) tank set. Thank you.

Edwin

XXXXX

The $1315 was just for the tank itself - no stand (they gave me a seprate pricing for stand but OP just need a tank anyway). It was a very good price and if they have returned my email quickly I would have confirmed having it built. Good for me as I was able to get a FREE tank (2.6m x 1m x .75m LWH) and friends and members here made it all possible. I did spent on the rebuild and food and drinks though, but worth it.

With your $2.5k qoute on a tank (8x2x3) and stand is already a good deal from the amounts I was given. Why not just get [MENTION=6248]Monza1[/MENTION] 's big tank (http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-trader-13/9-ft-tank-100861/) and refurbish it, you'll save a lot and it's a HUGE tank to start with. Alternatively [MENTION=295]Wolverine[/MENTION] is close to the specs you may want http://www.qldaf.com/forums/dry-goods-trader-13/fs-nerang-8x2-5x2-sump-stand-83249/

Edited by litigator666

So far I've heard between $800 and $1500 which is quite reasonable. Oh, and $2000 lol. I'll definitely let you know who I end up going through :) This Denison guy I keep reading about sounds like a top bloke, and if I didn't live in Cairns he'd be seeing some business from me. I know there are freight options available but local sourcing seems a better choice as I get jittery just moving one of my small tanks across town lol. In the meantime I've been working on my hard/soft scaping and I must say I've really surprised myself! For substrate I'm going for a 2inch layer of Eco complete, a 1inch layer of black diamond sand on top and to keep it separated a sheet of fibreglass fly screen. I know peeps may be thinking "Man that's going to be hard to plant through" but for one, I don't plan on really changing anything and for two I've "Invented" what I think could be a very useful tool to allow planting (And future planting) in this type of setup with ease. I've still got some fine tuning to do and it's going to be much easier to show in a tutorial when I'm actually doing it so stay tuned :)

I dragged my 8x2x2 up from Brisbane on a 8x4 trailer, no issues, pack it tight and protect from stones...

Getting it made in Brisbane by an big tank expert, and moving it in an enclosed trailer, or light truck would be my choice..

have been told ARU will actually make 8x3x3 FJ, whether the quality is there im not sure but i know they will make it for $$$$

I have a 10x3x2 tank with ARU sticker on it so I know they make or have made them but when I rang 4 years ago for a price

was told by Daryl quote we don't make tanks that big ?

So either he has changed his mind since or he was lying at the time

FJ

Let's say I did get Denison to build it and I had it freighted up. What do you think I'd be looking at for freight and if it smashed on the way, who's the replacement fall on?

thats one hell of a tank FJ,

so you bought it second hand and its still holding water after 4 years + the (x) time before you purchased ?

what ya got in there monster americans ??

Cherry shrimp haha

Let's say I did get Denison to build it and I had it freighted up. What do you think I'd be looking at for freight and if it smashed on the way, who's the replacement fall on?

[/url]

I'd say that's between you and dennison

FJ

Don't quote me but

It should be covered by whoever is moving it

If a company won't cover it don't use them

In saying that I've found a lot won't touch glass or tanks

It's just a case of ringing around or maybe dennison will know someone

FJ

Coming from a truck driver, when people try to send furniture on a general freight carrier, most will say they would prefer not to take it, if it must be sent with them it is the senders responsibility to pack it properly and there will not be any responsibility for breakages. There insurance will be for lost freight in an accident, fire, etc. not the fact it was extremely fragile.

You could always go for a furniture mover and pay 10x the freight.

Yeah it doesn't help that of the only two tank builders I know of in Cairns, One's an absolute rip off and rough quoted me $2000 for the job, and the other one never returns calls or anything.

Mate, I picked up a 8'x2.5'x2.5' from a bloke in Southport (tank, stand & 6' sump) for my son who lives in Cairns, as he was finding it pretty well impossible to find decent sized tanks up there. I got Ballina Transport to take it up in one of their trucks.(they do a run up there about 3 times a week) From memory it cost about $500 and it got up there in one piece. If you want to speak to my son, give him a ring on 0411365686. He's always happy to talk to other aqua enthusiasts. Cheers Warwick.