JayPee

Tap water or Tank water

I use tank water. The composition of it depends on what its stored in. The water out of the concrete tanks on my place go hard and alkaline. The water in my poly tank, ive noticed, comes out soft and acidic, around 5 - 5.6. My theory is that the rainwater falls neutral, but without hardness, so when it ages in inert poly, the pH drops?

id have tank water over town water any day

As Cooder said, it depends on your tank. I use tank water (concrete tank, hard water, high PH) for my cichlids and tank water (poly tank, soft water, much lower PH) for my discus, geos etc. If you have the luxury of having both types of tank, you're laughing, as long as you maintain your tanks (clean them out/have them serviced from time to time). I would never trust town water. Cheers Warwick.

I use a mixture of tap water and distilled water (to lower TDS which tends to creep up over time). When using tap water I always check the pH before each use though because brisbane water varies quite a lot.

Hey if you put tap water in your fishtank doesn't that make it "tank" water?? :D

(Sorry couldnt resist the smart-arse comment!)

Tank water for freshwater water changes, NSW for marine water changes and RO water for top ups for both systems.

My rainwater ( out of a Poly tank ) has always a 7.3PH and no TSD, I just ad a handful of salt as a buffer and my water parameters are allways spot on.

I use a good mix of both , and vary it up , somtimes 50/50

Next time filtered tap 70/30

Fish seem happy an healthy and discus breeding

Edited by Thomo29
Spelling

I use tank water most of the time and leave it up to the Aragonite substrate to buffer the PH.

I use town water when the tank is dry, it has a higher PH but tends to have Nitrates which is what i'm trying to get rid of.

I have been syphoning about 25% out with the hose, then connect the hose to either tap (preferably tank) and fill it back up with a cap full of Prime. Have been doing this once a week to both my 200 litre African Cichlid tanks for over a year now. Fish are happy and staring to breed. The only deaths have been from murder by dominent males.