clint

Eel Tailed Catfish Housecleaning For Natives

Do you think I could throw a couple of eel tailed catfish in an IBC with 50 Murray Cod? They are all about 8 to 10 cm. In the other IBC are 48 jade perch that are 3 to 10cm. The catfish advertised, are 5 to 10 cm. I was thinking they might clean house.

Clint,

I don't think you would have any problems. Eel tails are generally bottom feeders that eat the leftovers and very small shrimp and fish, even if your catfish were hungry enough, there is no way a 10cm catfish is going to eat a 3cm perch. The problem you hay have is when your Murray's get bigger and territorial they will harm the catfish and each other.

I’ve been dreaming about 6 foot Murrays. I’ve just ordered and I’m impatiently waiting for a 24 volt dc 12000 ltr/hr water pump and a 12 volt dc 4800 ltr /hr air pump and will gradually be getting more supplies to build in ground lined recirculating ponds under poly tunnels. I’ll be testing the pumps for some time before I go too big. Finding the dc pumps is the first step towards 6 foot Murrays. Filtration will be a swirl filter made from a small round water tank, which can be found at Bunnings, a home made foam fractionator and an IBC bio filter. Perch will probably be used as feeders. There is also the thought of geothermal heating. I think the bore water comes out at about 25 or 27 degrees c. I’ll take the temperature of the bore water next time I have it running to recheck. I’m also going to check the soil temperature next time we need to dig some holes. Which won’t be too far away.

If it all goes to plan bring on the ‘togas.

If your talking about the 500L green rainwater butts from Bunnings then they are too steep to be used as a vortex filter. You will have to add some nylon mesh or brushes to drop the water velocity enough to encourage precipitation which is more of a settlement tank but this will still remove most of the larger particles.

Glad I put it out there, aquaholic99. So basically go a bigger diameter for vortex filter increasing the volume of water in the tank therefore slowing the water movement and allowing more particles to fall. Here’s some photos of the first one I made about 2 years ago. The tub set up was just a learning process. It didn’t have fish in it for about 2 years. Now it’s got long armed shrimp, Duboulays and something else caught in the net when I got the shrimp. I like to build the filters and in the process have a full understanding of how they work.

Thanks Donny I didn’t think of that. I usually net fish of a night time under torch light. My theory is the light dazzles the fish and makes them easier to catch. I might throw some hidey-holes in there. I have hollow logs, but for ease of cleaning I might go with PVC.

post-6352-14711630813775_thumb.jpg

The swirl filter is the one with the red tap.

post-6352-14711630813543_thumb.jpg

post-6352-14711630813907_thumb.jpg

Clint,

I don't think you would have any problems. Eel tails are generally bottom feeders that eat the leftovers and very small shrimp and fish, even if your catfish were hungry enough, there is no way a 10cm catfish is going to eat a 3cm perch. The problem you hay have is when your Murray's get bigger and territorial they will harm the catfish and each other.

Not so sure about this. Juvenile Tandanus tandanus in the wild are quite well known to prey on smaller fishes. A 10 cm catfish could easily eat a 3 cm perch. But hey, I agree the hungry little cod will certainly be the biggest risk to anything else in their company.

Best of luck.

I never tried buying eel to clean our house. Usually I ask cleaning services company recommended by ncsa.org.au. But I heard eel can be helpful in cleaning drainages. My friend also told me he use one for cleaning their aquarium and toilet tiles.