daph_412

Need help trying to cool water down in Nano Reef Tank

Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a second-hand Boyu MH-400 46 litre reef tank which came with live rock, coral (quite poor quality from previous owners not maintaining them) and 2 brittle starfish. When bought the tank it had an algae bloom so I put in 2 types of snails to clean it up. 2 of the corals are coming back to life and all the creatures seem fine but I've noticed the water temperature getting a lot higher than it should be sitting at. Last night it went up to 30 degrees!

The tank already comes with a protein skimmer, heater, carbon, sponges, return pump, and 2 t5 18w lights. The person I bought it off also put in an AquaOne wavemaker of 3500lph. Last night I left the lid off overnight and it brought the temperature down to 26-27 degrees but now I've had to put it back on and turn on the lights because of the coral.

What would be the best and cheapest way to go to keep the water temperature stable?

Being new to marine I bought a second-hand Hailea Chiller for $100 but didn't realise they couldn't be attached to nano tanks. I'm really not wanting to spend over $100 on another method of cooling the water. All nano chillers seem to be really expensive and I haven't found any cheap second-hand ones around. Maybe cooling fans? Also if anyone knows where to get the fans/chiller cheap for this particular type of nano tank that would be great :)

Sorry for the lengthy message.

Yea either get the chiller working........ or buy another chiller.

I know they aint cheap...... but aside from giving up on reef, you really dont have any other option in QLD.

Those boyu tanks run hot, as does the aquaone wavemaker.

It wont be the last time you need to spend over $100 to keep that tank sweet as a reef.

Perhaps just go fish only?

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately placing the tank in air-conditioned room isn't an option for me.

I plugged in a powerhead and got the chiller working and was trying to slowly bring the temperature down over time but to be honest the chiller is way too oversized (not to mention power-hungry) for a tank that small and the temperature was dropping way too fast. It is now sitting at 26 degrees and have had the chiller turned off for a few hours now. What would be the highest temperature I could let the tank get to with just fish and live rock in there? Otherwise I might need to look at selling it on.

Cheers

What about trying to do a straight swap for a smaller chiller on the forum, maybe someone's looking for a bigger one.

Or put the chiller on an automatic timer for just short periods, till you find something else.

The chiller will get the temperature to whatever you set it too.

And only comes on when it needs to drop temperature.

It doesnt run 24 hours a day.

I dont think it will be a problem.

Once the temperature level is down where you want it, it should do the job nicely.

For a reef you dont really want it getting past 27degC

but for many fish, the temperature can get up to 30degC as long as the oxygenation is good.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have someone interested in swapping their nano chiller for my Hailea but if that doesn't follow through I might invest in some cooling fans litigator666 has recommended me.

Thanks again!