jcumpstay

Jacob's 5x2x2 Troph Tanks (sidedrop filters)

After much research into an energy efficient filter design and suitably sized tank for Tropheus i settled upon a few 5x2x2's and a two tier stand. Pete (PETFISH) was approached to put together the setup and has delivered two superb tanks and associated galvanised steel stand. Real pity that he is currently unable to source any more glass :-(

I've still got quiet a bit of work to do this coming weekend to vinyl the back of the tanks and play around with how i want the air to enter the pipes, but the photo's below should give an understanding of the setup so far (please ignore the leopard print blanket)...

68db6a2a-e21f-4f00-844b-5d93bb37f6b2.jpg

IMG_20140209_172210.jpg

IMG_20140209_172200.jpg

For those interested in the concept at play here, i suggest checking out the following video:

Im really hoping to get away with an LP20 or LP40 at most to adequately filter (mech and bio) both 5x2x2 tanks. Time will only tell.

Edited by jcumpstay

Both tanks finally up and running. Fronnies (Ikola) ended up in the top one. Will try to get a few decent pics tomorrow. Have to say that i'm extremely happy with the flow from the side drop filters. It's amazing how much water you can lift with 50L/m of air...

would be interesting to see how many L/h you are moving per Watt, compared to a small power head..

also would using a really fine bubble airstone create a more effective uplift?

I finally got around to grabbing a few shots of the new setup and the happy inhabitants (T. Brichardi Bulombora) this afternoon.

The two 5x2x2's each with sidedrops now working even better than expected:

Fish-9.jpg

The Troph's on the bottom:

Fish.jpg

The Flow Rate:

Fish-2.jpg

A few close-ups:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-N1TINDOp92M/UxLcHoYKlvI/AAAAAAAAEvQ/7cme8U9_5l4/w800-h534-no/Fish-7.jpg

Fish-6.jpg

Fish-5.jpg

Fish-4.jpg

Fish-3.jpg

The Top Tanks which the g/f took for her Fronnies:

Fish-8.jpg

Fish-10.jpg

Questions / comments welcome. From what i can tell the T's are super happy with the extra space and are growing and colouring up really nicely. Happy days :-)

Nice and old school physics.

Elegantly simple, but with plenty of room to customize these for any species.

I like it.

That's it Donny - prob makes more sense in pictures than me trying to explain it to you last weekend.

Low wattage too!

would be interesting to see how many L/h you are moving per Watt, compared to a small power head...

I really like how well the current set up oxygenates the water and how simple it is, however I am intrigued as to how the flow rate could be matched or bettered via a few small high efficiency power heads such as the Tunze turbelle e-jets. May have to do some trials in future tanks ;-)

Look great but you may want to paint the filter portion after a month as I had them before and found it really ugly as I couldnt clean it from inside out.

Two options for this type of design for display lounge room purposes are painting, or cover with black plastic or running high power light directly on the filter section to get natural green algae.

Anyway, great design in term of power saving

Edited by unheatedtank

Looks good Jacob could you put up some pictures of how you hooked up the air pump to each tank and is there holes drilled in the pipe under the marine pure spheres in the sump

[MENTION=11165]jcumpstay[/MENTION] Tanks looks great! Would love to see how you hooked up the air pump as yellows said :)

Hrrrm - unfortunately I didn't take any photos when i was constructing of how I hooked up the air to the pipe. Will post back a lengthy description and link to YouTube video that describes what I did when I'm back on my PC.

So as i said, unfortunately i forgot to take photos throughout the construction of my airlift pipes, but to see the detail of what i did have a look at this Youtube clip

. I think they are speaking German, but all you need is to watch how the air is introduced into the centre of the pipe. now just imagine doing it on a smaller scale using 25mm pipe and you have what i did. i then just used a 4mm right angle plastic piece glued into the outside collar of the pipe to introduce air from the LP40 pump. Took forever to drill all the 0.5mm holes, but the end results was worthwhile in that i get superb flow that has never slowed or blocked and never will do.