Cathybris

Help - found large red worms

Setting up a new tank and this morning noticed a large worm which looked a bit like an earth worm. Took it out and found another soon after. How do I get rid of them? There are no fish in the tank yet but there are plants

post-12134-14711630845719_thumb.jpg

post-12134-14711630845903_thumb.jpg

post-12134-14711630846029_thumb.jpg

If you're just setting up the tank, what are you using for substrate? Is it being set up as a planted tank, & did you use any dirt?

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_246 using Tapatalk

Yea I realise that they're probably earthworms but I thought that if they were, they would have drowned by now since I've had the gravel (no dirt) and water in for a month. My main question is do I need to get rid of them before I put fish in?

I thought that if they were, they would have drowned by now since I've had the gravel (no dirt) and water in for a month.

Provided there's plenty of dissolved oxygen in the water (which there likely is due to filter/plants), earthworms can survive for weeks underwater. At the end of the day they're probably not going to survive a huge much longer, which means they'll rot below the gravel & probably wreak havoc with your water quality (including ammonia spike)...