Sign in to follow this  
MakuCentauri

Reinforcing floors?

Hi all,

I'm in the process of buying a house and it's one of those with a wooden floor supported by brick piers. Now my biggest tank is 2m x 76cm x 76cm - so about a 1000 litres. That's a huge amount of weight combined with the sump, the tank itself + contents and I'd really rather not have to deal with my tank tearing a huge hole in my floor as it plunges into the crawlspace…..

What are people's thoughts on floor reinforcement? Anyone had to deal with similar?

Thanks!

Though many question at my engineer mate he said the floor should be good for at least 500 kg p/ ms if the floor is in good condition and hard wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though many question at my engineer mate he said the floor should be good for at least 500 kg p/ ms if the floor is in good condition and hard wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best find out what type of wood it is. Load baring capacity tends to vary :P

I would do it for peace of mind. I did it years ago as you could walk past the 6x2x2.5 and it would wobble, it would never go through the floor but I was worried that if there were any defects in the tank itself the movement would be what would make it break. It was just braced with 2 stumps under the house and you could then jump in front of it without so much as a ripple.

Edited by rainbowrunner

Falling through the floor is not really the problem un less the floor is has termites or dry rott it's more the timber under the floor sagging from the weight and causing the tank to crack the size of the bearers joist size and spacing you can do things like add a c channel or a engineered laminated beam to your bearers and add extra joists

Sign in to follow this