toddfish88

New 4ft Jewel Rio Planted Tank - Need Advice.

Hi fellow fish tank peeps!!

I've recently moved house and have just redone my 4ft aquarium. I have never done a complete planted tank before but i intend to have the whole tank covered in plant life. The plants i have used in my tank include the following;

- Anubias Barteri var. Nana ( i really was after petite but the supplier of my local fish store is pathetic and doesn't list scientific names.. Pisces. )

- Dawrf Hairgrass ( again from same supplier .. cant believe the snails. )

- Dwarf Blyxa ( Same supplier .. poor quality on arrival, could not believe it. )

- Ambulia

- Rotala Wallichii

- Dwarf Chain Sword

- Glossostigma

( Dwarf Chains and Glosso came from serene aquarium - who i will use in future as plant health was a amazing on arrival. )

The things i am not sure about in a mass planted tank however are the fertilisers i should use, should i be looking for individual fertilisers or should i use a broad spectrum that covers all? Given the quality of the blyxa i ordered, i am already observing the occurance of diatoms on the leaves and i am hoping this does not spread onto my other plants in the aquarium.

Correct me if i am wrong, but a broad spectrum fertiliser might lead to an abundance of unwanted minerals in my aquarium that could stimulate increased alage growth and i am thinking if that were to happen given a complete planted aquarium, results could be disastrous. What fertilisers do the enthusiast's use? I love my tank and I really want to breed shrimp and L numbers in the future so I am after any and all information on keeping the planted tank! My partner loves her cat, but i think i love my fish more haha! I have no fish or shrimp in my tank at present, but will be receiving some crystal black shrimp and yellow cherries tuesday/wednesday next week as well as 5 otocinclus i have ordered from my local fish store. All these i believe will aid my plants keeping their leaves clean for maximal growth. ( in theory haha )

Please if you have an advice for planted tank fertilisers and how to dose and deliver within the aquarium, i would be very appreciative. I can only get so much info from my local fish store, as sometimes i know what they tell me is incorrect. But it is all business to them at the end of the day.

Cheers, Toddfish88 :)

Firstly, what substrate are you using and what lighting?

In a heavily planted tank the plants should out compete the algae for nutrients so normally algae issues will come down to the type of lighting you use more than what ferts you add.

Daydream has mentioned a couple of Seachem products. Excel is a liquid based CO2 supplement. CO2 is often the most overlooked ingredients to having a successful planted aquarium.

okay, my substrate is Flourite black sand, and my lighting is juwel standard - 895mm 45w T5 nature light and 895mm T5 daylight. The Nature light being the grow light I am pretty sure. Also, do i dose flourish excel with a co2 system in my tank? that is fine? Also should i be using 2 x nature lights in there instead of one nature bulb? it is 180litre tank so i am thinking possibly 165-170L with substrate and rocks/plants etc, even 160L maybe.

Edited by toddfish88

I can't say i have any experience with Juwel lighting but it should be ok with the combination of tubes that you currently have.

You can dose excel as well as using CO2 injection but realistically it's probably a waste of money as you will get all the carbon you need from the CO2.

If you wanted to add a basic fert then maybe just try something like normal Flourish and watch the results. You can make things as complicated as you like but i would think better to start off simple and then go from there.

Nah, still have filter only time it is annoying is when it comes

Time to clean it. I get great co2 circulation through out the tank with the outflow the way it is. Will flourish excel still not be better than just flourish? Also I would have thought, doing my own research, an ondividual iron and potassium fert would be the way to go give the plants I have. I'm no expert, so I am still a little unsure. I will have CBS in there tomorrow so I don't want any ferts high in copper as they are pricey shrimp in Australia.

If i have issues with it once more, as i have already replaced the power head once, i will definitely cut it out and add a canister as my local fish store stocks no replacement juwel aquarium things... which is an issue in itself..

I wish there were more freshwater enthusiasts in the area, as buying from other enthusiasts tends to be cheaper and live products tend to be better quality. I am looking at starting a shrimp breeding set up however it will be outside under my patio. Is this a bad thing? They should do alright wont they? I have read that shrimp can handle the cooler water which will be guaranteed during winter, however they grow slower and breeding isnt as prolific. Makes sense really, being cold blooded. Anyone got any ideas or thoughts? Only time will tell how my juwel goes i suppose, will post more pics as tank starts growing. Would love peoples thoughts and ideas on keeping and breeding shrimp, and the planted tank :)