Spec27

How can I test for this?

I have a 3ft cycled tank running off 2 air driven sponge filters. I added a brand new, uncycled/unseeded canister filter 2 weeks ago.

How will I know when the canister has cycled enough to remove the sponge filters from the tank (and use elsewhere)?

api master test kit would be handy, if ya water is spot on, showing a somewhat minimal reading of nitrate it should be ready.

couple water changes will help speed things along with a sprinkle of fish flake or similar to get that bacteria blooming, easy life is your friend (or perhaps stability) ^^

:beer:

api master test kit would be handy, if ya water is spot on, showing a somewhat minimal reading of nitrate it should be ready.

couple water changes will help speed things along with a sprinkle of fish flake or similar to get that bacteria blooming, easy life is your friend (or perhaps stability) ^^

:beer:

Thanks for that, but the tank is cycled already (been running about 5months) .. problem is when to take the sponge filters out without it going into a mini-cycle if the canister isn't 100% ready .. if you know what I mean?

Maybe take the sponges out of the sponge filter and put it in the canister if there is room?

If not try and take one out at a time. Take one out and wait 2 weeks and then take the other out

When do you think it would be safe to remove the first one? It's been 2 weeks and 2 days now.. so I'm thinking maybe 1 more week, then like you suggest, the second one 2 weeks after that?

I would test the water first to make sure all is at zero, even though it's been cycling for 5 months it may still need some adjustments so get the water tested to make sure you're ready to go.

If all is good to go the pull one out, leave it go for another 2 or so weeks and then test the water again. Then if all is good still pull the other one out. After that let it run for a couple of day and test the water again.

I would probly try and fit the sponges in the canister if you can as well just to really kick it in the guys.

Have you got a test kit?

I would test the water first to make sure all is at zero, even though it's been cycling for 5 months it may still need some adjustments so get the water tested to make sure you're ready to go.

If all is good to go the pull one out, leave it go for another 2 or so weeks and then test the water again. Then if all is good still pull the other one out. After that let it run for a couple of day and test the water again.

I would probly try and fit the sponges in the canister if you can as well just to really kick it in the guys.

Have you got a test kit?

Yes an API test kit.. just tested again and levels are:

PH 8.0 (all my tanks are testing high ph lately?)

Amm 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 20? (colours are close)

Might wanna drop your nitrate first down to zero, do some partial water changes.

When I do a water change I get a 60L tub and drain about that much or maybe 2 out if the tank.

I will then refill about a third with hot water from the tap and then top it off with the cold water. I will then add prime and stability to the tubs before and then stir it up with a big stick (conduit) to mix it all in.

So in a bit shell I would do a partial water change, get yourself some prime and stability, add stability each day for a week and I would say you will be right by next weekend. Test the water every day and note down the progress. In the back of your API test kit you will have a diary section to note your tests in

If your tank has substrate then you will be fine to remove sponges anytime since you have a very light stocking rate. Even if canister is not fully cycled your 5 month old tank will cope with any mini- cycle spike. There is a lot of beneficial bacteria in substrate. However if your not in a rush, you may as well leave the sponges in for another couple of weeks.