Went collecting today and caught this lot, can anyone ID them and tell me which fish is in what pic, I am especially interested in the ones with the plant

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

post-11971-14711630926284_thumb.jpg

post-11971-14711630926355_thumb.jpg

post-11971-14711630926412_thumb.jpg

post-11971-14711630926466_thumb.jpg

Photos are a little hard to see as thumbnails, but first pic looks like an Olive Perchlet/Glassfish (Ambassis sp.), & second pic possibly a Crimson-spotted Rainbowfish from body shape (Melanotaenia duboulayi)? Any chance of reloading pics a little larger?

I just googled them and you guys are correct, next time I will only target the first 2 species, I now have a heap of crappy gudgeons that I don't know what to do with them

It's a shame you're all the way out in Toowoomba, [MENTION=11971]shakey2277[/MENTION] - I've just removed 2 nice male Empire Gudgeons from my tank (5cm each) that you'd be more than welcome to...or anyone else who's looking!? :eyebrows:

It's a shame you're all the way out in Toowoomba, [MENTION=11971]shakey2277[/MENTION] - I've just removed 2 nice male Empire Gudgeons from my tank (5cm each) that you'd be more than welcome to...or anyone else who's looking!? :eyebrows:

where are you

Well spotted, [MENTION=5538]fletch95[/MENTION]...completely missed the second fish in the background of pic 2. Looks very much like a Gam with fat belly & big tail...would be feeding that one to the cat quick smart, [MENTION=11971]shakey2277[/MENTION] lol

Sent from my RM-825_apac_australia_new_zealand_246 using Tapatalk

if its a Olive Perchlet

Scientific name - Ambassis agassizii

Distribution - Olive perchlets are a small native fish that occur in both eastern (coastal) and western (Murray-Darling) drainages, but these populations may be genetically distinct. The western population of the olive perchlet was once widespread throughout the Murray-Darling system of South Australia, Victoria, western New South Wales and southern Queensland. This population has suffered a serious decline and is now found only at a few sites in the Darling River drainage.

Size - Olive perchlets can grow to about 70-80 mm but are more commonly less than 60 mm.

Characteristics - Olive perchlets have an oval shaped body with a moderately large mouth, very large eyes and a forked tail. They are usually semi-transparent, with dark-edged scales forming a distinct pattern. The fins are generally clear, although there is often a broad, blackish band along the edges of the pelvic and anal fins.

If it is then I have stumbled upon a large number of them, I netted about 10 of them at once in a box trap

It definitely looks like an Ambassis [agassizii] - I have a small creek near home where I catch quite a few pretty large ones in every trap I pull up:

post-12004-14711630984842_thumb.jpg

I'm yet to keep any, but have heard they school really well & are a great native to keep (albeit a little fragile during transport & transition to your aquarium).

it says they are endangered, I cant see how possible that is since we both catch so many, and they are fragile I lost all but 1 in my tank, I wanna get more but next time I will climatise them better