chopper

Sparky Help Please

Hi guys, a quick question to the Sparky's out there, I recently bought a UV sterilizer from america (a very expensive one) and when i plugged it in the light flicked on for a second then went off, :noidea: After this happens I read the instruction a little closer and apparently i need a transformer to convert the power to 240v :frusty: Just wondering if I have totally stuffed it and or how could I get this up and running? Any help with this would be much appreciated,

Kind Regards, Andy

Here in Australia we operate on 240Vac at 50hz, whereas in the states they use 120Vac at 60hz.

Unfortunately, I am sorry to say that u have probably blown the bulb.

But I am surprised that u were able to plug it in as the US use different plugs......unless u used an adaptor.

Edited by shawry74

all goes down to the "DONT TRY THIS AT HOME", alot of PPL buy from OS to save a few, but cost more, not only if they blow it up but the cost of a converting transformer,

there are two typs of power supplies, IRON CORE or SWITCH MODE for exabple the IPhone charger is switch mode, thats why they come with the AUS attahcment for you to install, one transformer/charger for all the would, just pack the correct socket plate.

it is easy to see this, ask the supplyer what is the operation voltage or ask for a picture of the spec plate, it will either be fixed, ie 110vac only or 240vac only or a range, 110-240v ac, it may not look diffent but can save money and heart ach, so a quick warning from a sparky

Ben

I can't find much info on the ballast that runs the lamp but it looks to be electronic in which case it is more than likely cooked.

I would get a sparky to check it out for you, you may have been extremely lucky and have just blown the lamp.

In either case both parts are replaceable by the looks

Ultraviolet UV replacement parts...Aqua Art UV ultraviolet parts

As Shawry said, how were you able to plug it in to an Australian socket? Did you use a plug adapter?