Aubrey

Problems with Gouramis

Hi everybody, this is my first time here and I hope you can help me. I started up a community tank about 6 weeks ago, stocked it gradually with tetras, guppies, mollies, silver sharks, and specifically, five gouramis - 2 three spot and 3 opaline. I have lost a couple of fish but most have been doing well. Yesterday I noticed the gouramis are sitting on the bottom and one in particular seems quite ill, almost on its side, then it struggles to swim up to the top of the tank, then slowly floats back down, tail first. I know the ph is a bit high, around 7.3 - 7.5 and the water temperature is at 27 - 28 degrees (heater is switched off) but it's been like this from the start. I can't see any white spot. Any suggestions please, I'm very worried. Thank you.

I wouldn't be too worried about the pH and Temp, my tank sits about 7.5 and 28dec 24/7 and my Gourami's look great. Have you tested the water parameters for anything else? If the tank is only recently setup you may have experienced a spike. Give it a test and see if anything is up. Couple of 30% water changes usually fix any issues I have come across.

It's a Fluval 405 filter with 4 compartments. On top I have a coarse sponge, then two layers of 'nuts and bolts' and then the wool. There is also an upright section with 4 long sponges. No carbon. I've found out that the filter is not powerful enough to handle the volume of water (610 litres) and have this morning found one of my old filters, used many years ago, a Fluval 403. It has a broken impeller so I'm sourcing parts for that.

I saved the 'cleaner' water (not the bottom dregs!) out of the filter; rinsed the sponges; replaced the wool; and did not wash the ceramic nuts and bolts as they weren't dirty. The filter started up straight away, pumping well.

Yes, I have 1 long airstone in the tank. I haven't tested for ammonia, nitrate and nitrites yet, will be taking a specimen down to the local aquarium shop this week. Sadly, I lost the gourami. :( Also discovered a couple of baby fish in the tank, I think guppies.

I've had the water tested at the lfs. PH is 7.3 - 7.5, Hardness is ok, ammonia is ok, but nitrates are much too high. I believe I've been overfeeding, and also I need to buy more bottom feeders. Lost another gourami today. I'm about to do a water change now. Thank you all for your advice.

[MENTION=11130]Cudders[/MENTION] The tank carries 620 litres. We aged the tank for a week with plants in, plus one of the local aquarium shops advised us to add bacteria (from his shop) to the water, and said we could add fish immediately. We started with 6 guppies, and then gradually added pepper cats and bristlenose. Then, about a week later, we added the gouramis, tetras, 2 silver sharks, 4 platys, and danios. We lost a couple of fish, but the gouramis were doing well. Now, we have lost our second gourami and the others are sitting on the bottom.