gotzy

My New rack build.

Hi Guys hopefully will be getting this under way soon. want to build 2 racks 1 with 4x 48x15x18 and 1 2x 60x20x24

fed into 1 sump with sponges aswel. Now where im currently renting is very limited on height under the house where my fish room is so the racks have to be long and short gona be a little quishy but not useless. and hopefully a long shallow sump.

if anyone has any ideas on how to get maximum height so i can get in and clean tanks please feel free to give your opinon. not against removing a tank to swap with sump.

will be keeping calvus and compressiceps in there at this stage

also there is a slight possibility of moving in April so can always wait until then and work off a standard 2400 ceiling height. changing the plans i drew is no prob is a couple secs work

Project 0.pdf

178mm is no were near enough space.. I have a few tanks at the moment that are 150mm and it suks, they will be pulled apart and cut down so there is atleast 200mm gap

the sump does not have to go under the tansk, just aslong as the sump entry is below the drain point of the tanks. kick the sump out allow 300mm gaps above the tanks

floor-( up to 100mm from ground )75-450-300-75-450-300, some extra room aswell

sump could still be a 450h 600w 900l long would be heaps big enough i recon.

Comp dont take up much room, 4footers are overkill

I would use 3x2x18h tanks, but in the same length you could have 6 instead of 4 = more fish or divided for fry tanks.

Also bring a tape measure and compare it to my 5 footer stand, and see how you like the size, gaps etc in real life, heaps easier to judge than looking at projections..

Thanks for the input [MENTION=1698]trofius[/MENTION] [MENTION=470]aquaholic99[/MENTION] ill get on to you as soon as i can Mick. im fairly sure ill be moving so i might wait to build this.

I plain on having a good size colony of at least 5-6 comps and Calvus. plus im sure ill find other things i like.

just on the stand. instead of having foam under the tanks can i have something thing like marine carpet clued to plywood or fc.

heres the new plan sorry if yous cant read PDF's

Project ver 2.pdf

>300mm gap is overkill even on 2 foot wide tanks.

marine carpet might be ok, but it WILL NOT absorb any deflection in the stand like poly will do. poly is cheap as, 8x4 x10mm sheets are like $12

PLease tell me that stand will be made of steel...

yeah 25x50x3.0 or 4.0 R.H.S should do the job. not hard to bump it up.

4mm is wayy overkill, that big stand i made is only 2.5,

25 x 50 2mm for the 4 footer stand, and 75 x 50 2.5 for the five footer stand. is what i would do.

So i will be moving in the next few weeks and found a place wit this bad boy. :eyebrows:

post-10343-14711631141116_thumb.jpg

so i will be building this rack will do the 4ft first then see if i have any coin left over for the 5fts.

Project ver 2.pdf

After having a chat to [MENTION=1698]trofius[/MENTION] im not sure if i want to go with stand pipes of just bulkhead through the back.

can i please get opinions on both please

Cheers adam

You are going to need to insulate that bad boy really well..

top back bulkheads

less visible in the tanks

less likely to have a leak, as there is less water pressure around the fitting

lower flow rates

much more difficult to access fittings and plumbing.

tanks need to be away from the wall somewhat.

standpipes

higher flow rates

easier to access fittings and plumbing

remove stand pipe and tank drains quickly if required.

more chance of leaks, due to water pressure

there is a pipe or weir in the tank which is not very pretty

Thats my thoughts..

im only renting so im not gona insulate it. was thinking of attaching an ibc or 2 to increase water volume. might work. i will be running new power to the shed tho as it only has an extension cord though conduit at the moment. no a lot of lecys so will get them on to it. Once i get permission from the owner that is.

Have plenty of room so im happy to have it of the wall. the bottom left tank will have to be deilled on the side. so that one is sorted.

been in the new place for awhile so will try get some updated pics. so far have just moved a couple tanks ans ibcs in the shed.

Have decided to go with 6x 4x18x24 tanks for now. just gotta work out the cheapest way to get them from the goldcost to rocky. any ideas

will cost me about $500 in fuel to do the trip in the old cruiser

If you can get them on a pallet all safe & sound. You should be able to have them brought up here for around $150.00. That's what i was quoted by a freight company for the pallet. Regardless of weight. Just volume.

so its been awhile and a few things have changed. so now im going to put off getting the 4fts but now will be going with 3 6x2x2 on pallet racking. and a seperate 6x2x2 for my tropheus colony whenever they arrive. will be rearaging the shed soon. ibcs out side and all tanks inside.

post-10343-14711632347236_thumb.jpg

spent the last couple days cutting the packing to the right height and about 660 wide.

but now i have about 8 uprights leaf over haha

post-10343-14711632349392_thumb.jpg

so its been awhile and a few things have changed. so now im going to put off getting the 4fts but now will be going with 3 6x2x2 on pallet racking. and a seperate 6x2x2 for my tropheus colony whenever they arrive. will be rearaging the shed soon. ibcs out side and all tanks inside.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56021[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56020[/ATTACH]

spent the last couple days cutting the packing to the right height and about 660 wide.

but now i have about 8 uprights leaf over haha

Shaping up to be an awesome build man can't wait to see the finished product

dont no what i was thinking buying 15 uprights when im only going to use 4 haha least the old man is getting a good fathers day gift next weekend when i visit.

yeah its coming along slowly partly because i keep changing my mind and because im poor.

turns out this is the slowest build of all time. will be getting stuck into it on the holidays so will have some results then. so now its going to be 6fts with side drops. and if they work as good as im hoping ill get rid of some display tanks and do 2 racks.

and an ibc stand and wall just to make water changes a bit easier.

This is what im hoping for but for the time being it will be a 6ft display next to the ibcs

post-10343-14711632832966_thumb.jpg

It looks ok I guess, but you forgot to add the beer fridge and banana lounge now hurry up and get it done, I aint getting younger ya know :boink:

Seriously though it will look great when it's up and running.

theres already a couch sitting in front rest of the shed is taking up by storage and my bikes.

Picked up 12 dexion I beams tonight so its moving along

so its been over a year since i started this rack build. so where im at. Rack/s is finished with 6x2x2s on it. tanks themselfs i have not finished putting side drops in yet.

aldo have moved again so when settled i will post finished pics