M&J Fabulously Fish

Where to buy oxygen bottles?

Hi guys I was wondering if anyone knew where to buy and refill oxygen bottles.

I know they are available at welding suppliers.

Is there somewhere I can buy the bottle instead of renting it?

I have heard micro brewing shops sell them, but never chased that up.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

i have used disposable argon cylinders for small welding jobs before instead of lugging a big cylinder around the countryside. i think bunnings sell a disposable oxygen cylinder, not sure if it is the right grade of oxygen but may be worth a look.

You don't want oxygen you want carbon monoxide and the plants will in turn make that into oxygen the same way trees and plants do it for us through photosynthesis

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

I just looked at the bunnings website and they have disposable co2 bottles, they look quite small about the size if the sodastream ones, not sure how long the sodastream ones last, maybe someone can shed some light

$39 for the disposable or a one off outlay of $70 for the sodastream bottle and $10-$20 for the adapter to allow the sodasream nozzle to fit a regulator and $15 exchange I think it is, I am guessing the disposable one wont need the adaptor

I haven't used them myself, but I know at least one other member who uses oxygen tablets. Try username "Rastinger62" as I know James uses them, I tried to tag him on this thread but not sure how. [MENTION=5802]Rastinger62[/MENTION]

Cheers, Doug

I think I'll stick to oxygen bottles just because I know it works, but thanks Doug

Not to sure it's got to be cost effective as well. I can't change people extra because I bag with stress coat and oxygen

It's really a peace of mind thing for me knowing their fish will be safe and healthy along the ride to their new home :)

normal welding oxygen is fine. i rarely have to ship so the cost of $150 up front was a bit much for me so i went down to the closest fabricator and got them to fill the bags wast like $10.

also looked into the bunnings size but there tiny and wouldnt last to long so thats like $50 every time you have to ship.

hi there M&J fabulously fish my cousin had the same problem about a year ago and sure your not the only person that want a oxygen bottle but don't want to pay rent cause don't use it enough. so this is what we did boc do a disposiable bottle for about 50 dollars but problem is screw in velve that it goes into they don't sell so you can go to mitre 10 or bunnings and in the welding section you can buy a screw in valve that goes on top of it for about 18 dollars and to make it really handy to use you can buy a trigger handle and little compressor hose that attaches aswell so instead of having to use valve on bottle you just use trigger handle. Hope that made a bit of sence to you, a lot to take in but I will get my cousin to post picture on this page tonight because im sure there will be few people in the same boat that don't ship due to not having oxygen. ps shakey2277 please try and give information that is useful lol

Hi [MENTION=11278]roosy[/MENTION]

Thanks for your input. I hope is will help about of people in this position.

So pleased to be apart of a community that help each other out with their wealth of knowledge.

I do believe if you don't post fish much then paying your lfs $2 a bag is a better option for you, its how I started

As for myself do I continue renting a bottle or buy a new one ?

Would if be worth buying one. Knowing I have to pay for a safety check on the bottle every year?

Thanks again everyone!!! :D

Look up power 10 gasses they do outright buy bottles and then you only have to pay for refills. Unsure on price but gotta be a better option thsn renting in the long run

What does a safety inspection cost?

I know BOC etc wont refill a bottle with out a current inspection

I have a 5kg industrial O2 bottle, its $15 a month to hire, I get a replacement every 12-18 months, depending on how much I move.

The BIG initial killer is the $200+ oxygen regulator. I aquired one from the father in law, he had a few spares. :)

I got my Hose made up and a trigger handle done at enzed, cost me about $40 all up.

Gotzy, Or any of the Rocky boys, if you need oxy just shoot me a line.

Sending my fish bagged with oxy, is simple peace of mind.

What does a safety inspection cost?

I know BOC etc wont refill a bottle with out a current inspection

I have a 5kg industrial O2 bottle, its $15 a month to hire, I get a replacement every 12-18 months, depending on how much I move.

The BIG initial killer is the $200+ oxygen regulator. I aquired one from the father in law, he had a few spares. :)

I got my Hose made up and a trigger handle done at enzed, cost me about $40 all up.

Gotzy, Or any of the Rocky boys, if you need oxy just shoot me a line.

Sending my fish bagged with oxy, is simple peace of mind.

Not to sure I can't imagine it being any more then my power tools for work so $19? Wounds be more then $50

I mean they only inspecting the bottle...

You don't want oxygen you want carbon monoxide and the plants will in turn make that into oxygen the same way trees and plants do it for us through photosynthesis

I think you mean Carbon DIOXIDE. Carbon Monoxide will leave your fish very dead but very pink.

Aparently you can also use marble chips to generate small amounts of co2 while the dereriate

THEY WANT 02, NOT CO2 [MENTION=11971]shakey2277[/MENTION]