Shaun1390

Is it possible to breed my mainganos ???

Can I breed mainganos in a small tank with 1 male and 1 female ??  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Can I breed mainganos in a small tank with 1 male and 1 female ??

• Yes
    • No
    • You can breed mainganos in a 2 foot tank with bristlenose
    • You can not breed mainganos in a 2 foot tank

I have a 3 foot tank and a 2 foot tank .... I have always wanted 2 breed mainganos but only now I have a male and female... I don't care about the ratio thing or anything. I just want to know the easiest way to breed them 1 male and 1 female .... in a 2 foot tank ??? and can bristlenose breed in the same tank as them ???

Maingano aren't hard to breed, but one female won't last long. The male will breed with the female and then will continue to harass her to breed even though she is already holding, and will most likely end up killing her.

You will be better off obtaining a few more females to keep him busy. Otherwise, you will need to remove either the male or female to the 2 foot tank as soon as she is holding, and keep them separate until she has released the fry and then conditioned up again ready to breed.

If the bristlenose do breed in the same tank as the maingano, the maingano will eat the bristlenose eggs/fry. And don't forget you will need a separate tank to grow out the maingano fry.

Cheers, Doug

I pretty much started breeding maingano's accidentely from just a original pair and they bred for about 6 years, i gave away hundreds every few months. Like dfishkeeper said they are not hard to breed and a single female will get harrassed but it can be done. They are a pretty tough fish and while their mating habits look like they are trying to kill one another mine at least it is only chasing around and no real carnage. I let mine run feral and as i don't bother stripping and leave some rock rubble around for the fry and they take care of themselves, low maintenence. Easy as, a bit too easy sometimes and i have to find homes for them, not too many people want maingano's so it is kind of pointless breeding them to be honest. Maingano's will eat your bristlenose eggs as well. Generally speaking they do not eat fry that is larger than 15mm but it depends on how hungry they are and once they learn they keep at it. Not as bad as Flavus when it comes to a fish dinner, but they will not hesitate to eat slow dumb fry that don't try and hide, kind of natural really. If you like the looks of them and don't want hundreds in a few months stick to the same sex, they almost look the same and the alpha females get bossy with out a male and act out he same anyway. They don't easily mix with other fish that have similar look in body shape and colour so keep tank mates way different and they all seem to get on.

A very lazy but successful way to breed aggressive fish in a small tank is to completely fill it with loose java moss. So full that the fish can't even see each other. You will also get excellent water quality (plant filtration) and have no idea how many fish you actually have. However you will glimpse some fish occasionally and soon be able to net out plenty of fish at regular intervals and have plenty of moss to sell.

I skipped a few weeks water change and let the nastys build up then done a massive water change, like 65%. Mimics a big rain with the temp drop and fresh water then they will get busy.

I done a big water change tonight after missing about a months worth and already both males have coloured up brilliantly and are harassing the females and getting very aggressive toward my blue dolphin who got too close, they got into a fight but the dolphin although smaller held his own, I was so proud of him lip locking with a bigger fish. I did break it up though

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk