The Tech Den

Try before you buy - welcome some input on sump pumps please.

We are tossing around a few ideas and just seeing how well it would be accepted.

It would seem that when buying a new sump pump one of the biggest concerns is - is it the right size?

We are thinking on having a range of pumps where you would buy the size that you think it should be, and we give you one to take home for 48 hours and try and if you are happy bring it back and we give you a new one in the box. If it is too small - pay the extra to get the bigger size or if the pump is actually too big get the smaller size and refund the difference.

What are your thoughts on this - pro's and con's? Any downsides?

Just trying to give a little more peace of mind when buying a sump pump.

1. You would need to have a standard proforma setting out what they must do/liable for etc. Do they lose the right to exchange for a new one if they exceed 48hrs?

2. Downside is the "loaner" becomes defective/non-operational - would be impossible to prove if the defect is misuse by the current borrower or from previous use/misuse and just happened to go with the current borrower. You could make them liable for returning in working condition - but you would have to prove/evidence it was working when you gave it to them. What happens if working but you can tell the flow rate has substantially dropped?

Great idea - just a matter of determining what is fair for both parties.

1. You would need to have a standard proforma setting out what they must do/liable for etc. Do they lose the right to exchange for a new one if they exceed 48hrs?

2. Downside is the "loaner" becomes defective/non-operational - would be impossible to prove if the defect is misuse by the current borrower or from previous use/misuse and just happened to go with the current borrower. You could make them liable for returning in working condition - but you would have to prove/evidence it was working when you gave it to them. What happens if working but you can tell the flow rate has substantially dropped?

Great idea - just a matter of determining what is fair for both parties.

1. We would have to set out a proforma for them to accept and we are fair - if we were to say receive a courteous phone call to say "hey we can not make it up there today can we do it tomorrow" we would be flexible. Obviously to have it for too long would then prevent others being able to try that particular pump and that is what we would try to avoid. The time line is more on being fair to others.

2. Should the item become defective then that would be a warranty issue and not be an issue for the person borrowing it. We would also need to sanitize the unit on the return so we would be aware if it was not working correctly and this would also make sure the unit was going out in full working order.

Edited by The Tech Den

With 1 - easier to set clear obligations and then waive them at your discretion. To try to put that into a proforma would create uncertainty which you are trying to avoid.

With 2 - you are right, but you would need to check the terms of the warranty as there may be an exclusion where being used for commercial purpose and that could be broadly defined. After the warranty period, you could then sell s/h to recover some of your costs.

These are just the possible negatives - I'm sure you have already worked out the positives.

With 1 - easier to set clear obligations and then waive them at your discretion. To try to put that into a proforma would create uncertainty which you are trying to avoid.

Good point will definitely take this on board.

With 2 - you are right, but you would need to check the terms of the warranty as there may be an exclusion where being used for commercial purpose and that could be broadly defined. After the warranty period, you could then sell s/h to recover some of your costs.

These are just the possible negatives - I'm sure you have already worked out the positives.

We would look at working with the supplier and we are in talks with one at the moment and if we can get their support on it - it will make things a lot easier. We would like to make it in everyone's interest and does really come down to be fair.

I would really like to see it work and happen and I am unaware of it happening in the industry so it could be a progress in work and if it does fail then we can close it down which would be a shame and it does mean us investing $$$ into it to work and hope the positives outweigh the negatives and accept we do need to be careful.

OK, my final comment is to say that these sort of forms are for when things go wrong, not when they are going right. They won't be inclusive of every possible scenario and in your case will be somewhat broad to keep it simple. They are there for your protection ultimately, but can possibly be negated by saying something which is contrary to what is written.

Love the idea, I nearly dropped in today to talk to you about sump pumps but thought I would wait until I have the sump sorted so I dont waste your time.

You would not be wasting my time that is for sure. Happy to have a chat anyways. You never know you could be the first guinea pig - um - I am volunteer...lol

You would not be wasting my time that is for sure. Happy to have a chat anyways. You never know you could be the first guinea pig - um - I am volunteer...lol

Haha, nice. Im a little ways off yet though, still deciding size of sump, design of sump, whats going in it, how many tanks its going to run, oh and yeah what pump I will need.

As usual John you go way beyond what's expected. Of course there is always one wowser who will try to poke holes in a great idea but the more educated here know to ignore such drivel.

Kudos to you mate.

I presume you are referring to me. John did ask and I quote "What are your thoughts on this - pro's and con's? Any downsides?"

So instead of having a cheap shot at me because you have a gripe against me, I actually responded to the OP and provided a useful reply. Now run along/

Well the one I bought today [MENTION=6981]Tech Den[/MENTION]

You can't have back. Works a treat and you saved the day

No fish lost thanks to you John

FJ

Good to hear FJ. Aquael, luv em. Sounds like another convert. Good Warranty, Good pump - made in the EU. What more can you ask.

Not to drag things on and this is what I like about being your own boss - you get to make decisions and would like to thank everyone that has input on this....

Yes it will be the Aquael Pumps and the models are as follows.

Aquael Aquajet 3500 - 3500lph - 2.5m head height.

Aquael Aquajet 5500 - 5000lph - 3.0m head height.

Aquael Aquajet 7500 - 7000lph - 4.0m head height.

Aquael Aquajet 10000 - 9000lph - 4.5m head height.

and of course we just could not leave out -

111502-2T.jpg?1383837554

Aquael PFN10000 Plus - 10000lph - 5m head height - yes the DC - Remote controllable pump.............

If it works will look at adding the 15,000, 20,000 and 25,000

Well I have some bad news and some good news. First the bad news - the Aquael PFN10000 Plus - 10000lph is off the list for now as unfortunately they have been going through far more than anticipated and they are out of stock.

The good news:-

We have the Aquael PFN15000 Plus - 15000lph model in its place.

Should have them arriving early next week.

Looking forward to kicking this off mid next week so long as everything goes to plan.

Its now a happenin thing - wahoo...

Big thanks to AquaPremium - the authorised Australian Aquael distributor for their support and that too of making it a priority to getting the pumps on their way.

Of course, thank you to everyone for their support and especially those that gave input in this thread :clap2:

As a special thanks to everyone on QLDAF we are going to kick it off with extra discount - starting tomorrow.

The pumps have arrived - early, the paperwork is all in place and instead of the 10% QLDAF discount if you come into the store we will make it 15% discount to all of the aquajet series of the sump pumps. The discount will apply weather you choose to do the try before you buy or if you know exactly and pick it straight off the shelf we will apply the 15% as well.

This will run until the end of March for the extra discount too.

A big thank you to a member that will remain nameless that helped us in a major way - you know who you are and a big thanks.

[MENTION=5428]ozmo[/MENTION] - I know you like your Aquael and looks like it will come in good timing and picking up a extra bonus - ready when you are.

Its_Go_Time.jpeg