As you may know, I rediscovered the soft spined sunfish in 2006 in a particular catchment in Brisbane, which had not been documented for over 10 years. I also came very close to what was thought to be a spangled gudgeon in the Brisbane River at West End, which actually turned out to be one of the bigger sighted microps gudgeon. I was wondering if you have any cool stories about our Aussie marvel, not just in an aquarium but in the wild? Also has anyone else had the pleasure of fish collecting in the wild in Darwin or overseas?

By the Soft Spined sunfish, I am guessing you mean Rhadinocentrus Ornatus, I didn't think anyone called them that these days.

Which catchment would that be ?

Yeah I go collecting about once a month, last trip was with ANGFA on Sunday to Bribie caught psudeomugil Signifer, Ambassis and Empire Gudgeons, no Rhads.

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply! Been flat out all day with fish. Yeah so it was me who documented the rhadnocentra ornatus in the Enoggera catchment in 2006. Along with myself, members of DPI and the Brisbane museum then went down and witnessed me catching a few colonies of these rare species.

Grubby - wow these ANGFA trips sound really fun and right up my ally, is it hard to get into? and yeah the soft spined sunfish is an old school term but I do still come across it occasionally these days.

Sclero P - what was meant by bigger microps is, it had been a while since one of the biologist staff in the museum had come across one as big as I came across, although I have no doubt that they are widely out there out that size.

Marcusnsherell - wow that's a pretty cool list that you've been catching. Striped gudgeons are one of my favourite. If you look online you will find I've done a fair few mini educational clips promotion conservation and awareness of our native species all over Brisbane, North Qld and the NT. I'm sure you will love it, one of the coolest gudgeons that I caught in Darwin was a spangled gudgeon which I also have caught in Cairns, Airlie Beach and surrounding area. It was very cool to bring up such a familiar face in the nets across these areas.

Satchiel - that article sounds really cool. Do you have a copy of that or a link? Once I figure out how to use this forum and post pictures and videos I will definitely share the clip from the newspaper that featured myself and the rediscovery.

Just for the record I'm also going to state now that when it comes to spelling and grammar such as bigger microps I do quite badly however I'm a bit better with fish lol..

That article sounds really cool. Do you have a copy of that or a link? Once I figure out how to use this forum and post pictures and videos I will definitely share the clip from the newspaper that featured myself and the rediscovery.

It was actually a combination of the below two articles:

SOFT-SPINED SUNFISH: CONSERVATION ACTION STATEMENT

The creek in our backyard: A practical guide for habitat restoration

Looking forward to seeing your Rhad rediscovery pics/videos once you get the upload process sorted! :pop2:

microps still has me stumped Prinobutis microps the only Eleotrid of the 43 described Australian species with microps in the binomial nomenclature accepted or synonym. Highly unlikely to find one at West End unless its at Mappins. Butis Butis most likely.

microps still has me stumped Prinobutis microps the only Eleotrid of the 43 described Australian species with microps in the binomial nomenclature accepted or synonym. Highly unlikely to find one at West End unless its at Mappins. Butis Butis most likely.

Qld Museum have specimens of P. microps in their collection from Fig Tree Pocket (unknown), Graceville (1983), Kangaroo Point (1984 & 2002), Woolloongabba (1988 ), Bulimba (1991), Hemmant (unknown) & Pinkenba (1991).

post-8516-14711630958302_thumb.jpg
Prinobutis microps are found in Moreton Bay and up the Brisbane River (although not venturing into pure fresh water). Rarely seen as they are secretive. It would be almost impossible to mistake for Butis butis. Prinobutis has an extremely wide head and distinctive markings - nothing like a Butis. Looks nothing like a Spangled Gudgeon either. microps photo is from the internet (not mine) and the photo shows a small individual on an odd angle - looked at straight on it has a very wide head unlike the butis slender body and head - and nothing like a Spangled Gudgeon (below). Striped Gudgeons can look like Spangleds in the wild and can be confused although they shouldn't be in Brisbane as Spangleds are not found this far south.

post-8516-14711630958083_thumb.jpg

Edited by none

I haven't had a native tank since I was a kid (bout 13 I think) but I saw a beautiful lil peacock gudgeon bout 3.5-4cm at an LFS down here & it's really makin me think bout gettin another tank goin & setting up a small native biotope.

Since there are a bunch of Native keepers posting here, thought I'd ask what are they like to keep? Similar to Empires? (Kept them as a kid).

Since I don't think he'll go unnoticed for too long, I might get him tomorrow & throw him in my 65L shrimp tank til I get another one set up. Any chance he'll choke on a shrimp or will he be ok in there for a lil while? (Don't mind if he eats a few younguns, just don't want him to choke x_x)

Edit: just realised they're from Papua, my bad, Dohh!

Edited by BigPete86