Got one of those otto pf300g canister filters and I can not open the damn thing [time for a clean I reckoned]. I've got all the clips unclipped and tried a myriad of positions and ways to open it to no avail. Bugger of a thing won't budge so I've abandoned it for now because I'm prepared to throw it against a wall [bet it still won't open LOL]. It seems a small black hole [yes, the space things] has appeared inside the canister and with it's mighty vacuum power, is keeping that canister closed. So anyway, I'll probably wait for someone to come home and they can hopefully brute force it better than me. But why won't it open? Does anyone have any ideas/tips etc? Thanks.

I've now attempted a grand total of 2 hours of attempting to put the O-ring back on the unit. Are canisters supposed to be the most frustrating experience? It sure seems that way to me. It's difficulty rivals that of QWOP. I'm wondering if they are all this bad because if so, I'm going back to internal filters.

To that effect I've taken some of the media out and put it into an internal filter. I figure that's better than nothing and will have to do for now at least. I really hate this canister, has caused me nothing but frustration. Then again I probably need a better technique is all. [Next up will be me having a hard time starting it... such an optimist!]. I've tried to get 2 other people in my house to have a go but they failed too. Still, got a couple more to have a go when they get home :D LOL @ them

Yea otto 450g o-rings are an aquired skill. I can do them blind folded :)

Trick is to make sure the o-ring isnt twisted.

Then you place it on head.

place head on canister

then slowly and evenly push it down.

The otto 450g is the only canister we have left in the hobby from the days before seated o-rings.

As for removing the lid, just turn the taps so they are open.

That stops the vaccum.

I've given up with the O-ring for today... after about 2 1/2 hours total [no exaggeration whatsoever] I think I will go insane if I try again today. I have noticed that it twisting is a problem and I am attempting to minimise that when I put it on. I can't even bear to think about it anymore today.

As for being able to open the canister, the taps weren't even attached to the unit. I left them attached to the in/out flow tubes. I only took the one off the outflow so I could try aquaholic99's idea which worked. So it wasn't a vacuum inside, probably that [insert insulting adjective] O-ring.

Thanks for the replies though guys. This was a terrible choice of canister for me [first one I ever had too], no doubt about it. I'll try again tomorrow.

The head can also be harder to get off if any fine sand grit gets in.

If it was a vacume you can also just press the air vent button, but you are right in thinking it couldnt have been a vaccum with the taps off.

The otto is a clunky old dinosaur, that gets the job done long term.

If you decide to get a different canister.

I do think you will appreciate all the little evolutions that have led to our modern canisters.

I did have some very fine 'sand' in the bottom [what I get for squishing as many marine pure ceramic balls in there that I could, if they rub each other they do let off some 'sand'], so that probably was what prevented me from opening it then. I [and a few other people had a go] tried again yesterday and today to get the O-ring on again with no success.

I'm bad at giving up it seems I'm a noob and [2] I'm bad at doing anything practical]. This time I have managed to reassemble the thing and got it running! :D I'm more so relieved than anything. Still, I will be getting a canister for my smaller tanks because despite the learning curve, I really like how much media can be stuffed inside. Suggestions for a canister for a 150L tank are welcome.

Edited by GrandLocomon
New developments