RJHELL

What am i?

Found this little guy in the castnet tonight at collages crossing (ipswich). So what SP. Is it? Never seen a sole/flounder up this far...post-6882-14711630964386_thumb.jpg it has a real strong tiger pattern in it.. Brought it home to get photos then released it back to where it was caught. Beautiful little fish.

post-6882-14711630963364_thumb.jpg

post-6882-14711630963653_thumb.jpg

Its tidal [MENTION=3726]grubby[/MENTION]. Its more salt then fresh

Never fished where its illigal ot practiced anything along them lines. I belive in fishing for the future. Catch and release is all i do unless its a 40-50cm flathead then i grab 1 or 2 :-)

Edited by RJHELL

Never fished where its illigal ot practiced anything along them lines. I belive in fishing for the future. Catch and release is all i do unless its a 40-50cm flathead then i grab 1 or 2 :-)

I grew up at Karalee & spent my first 18 years swimming & fishing at Colleges Crossing & Allawah...can't say I ever noticed salinity creeping anywhere near that far up the Brisbane River, especialy given the Brisbane Water Treatment Works are only a stone's throw further upriver??

Above that weir at My.Crosby is 100% fresh but below is the start of brakish. The water at collages rises up to 1m at hightide and -1m at low and depending on time of moon rotation(king tide)

Sorry but Colleges Crossing is NOT more salt than fresh - take a hydrometer - pure fresh. Yes it is tidal - the very upper tidal reaches but that doesn't make it salt. Spent years doing water analysis there and at no stage was any salt found.. Further downstream it is brackish - Colleges is not.

Edited by none

I grew up at Karalee & spent my first 18 years swimming & fishing at Colleges Crossing & Allawah...can't say I ever noticed salinity creeping anywhere near that far up the Brisbane River, especialy given the Brisbane Water Treatment Works are only a stone's throw further upriver??
You are exactly right - Colleges is pure fresh - tidal yes but fresh - as you mention the area gets it's water from near there :-)

Looks like a sole or flounder .when juvi their eyes are on both sides like a normal fish then they migrate around to be on one side as they mature. Maybe they can handle brackish to fresh as a juvi maybe less predators up there or the mothers lay eggs in brackish and the juviniles migrate to the salt .happens with other fish

Colleges on Brackish.

Some species I have caught or seen caught there there are

Bream

Silver Biddy

Tarpon (Many years ago. But I heard some one caught one 2 weeks ago. With photo Proof)

Flathead

Scat

Mono aka Butter Bream

Bull Sharks

Catfish

Aussie Bass

Eel

Sole

And from memory most of the top of the list are Brackish/Salt fish

Colleges on Brackish.

Some species I have caught or seen caught there there are

Bream

Silver Biddy

Tarpon (Many years ago. But I heard some one caught one 2 weeks ago. With photo Proof)

Flathead

Scat

Mono aka Butter Bream

Bull Sharks

Catfish

Aussie Bass

Eel

Sole

And from memory most of the top of the list are Brackish/Salt fish

All the above fish enter freshwater (albeit briefly in some cases). Silver Biddy, Tarpon, Catfish and Bass can spend their entire lives in freshwater. People need to understand the difference between tidal and brackish. There are flora species found around Colleges (at least there were prior to the floods) that can not handle salt. At the most at a King tide you may get minute salt readings at Colleges - i.e 1.002sg nothing like the "it's more salt than fresh" quote given. Monos are rarely found at colleges, (not that it makes any difference as young Monos enter fresh water regularly) and the sharks are well known to enter freshwater at Colleges to kill parasites on their bodies. You could also add Bullrout, Snub Nosed Gar, Tilapia, etc, etc ,etc.

Edited by none