billfish

power assisted gravel siphon

Been thinking of this one on and off for a while .

what i am thinking of was usung a long gravel siphon adding a low volume 240 volt inline pump that will draw the waste from the bottom of the tank through a hose then straight out the door saves the bucket method .

could be used from water storage to tank as well . That is if its not already out there

Any opinions welcolm

Try a gravity assisted siphon. Put your garden hose in your fish tank and turn the hose on. When no more air comes through the hose, turn off the tap and disconnect the hose. Drop it on the ground and it should start to drain the tank. It’s easier to do with two people. If you’re in a hurry to drain the tank, use a larger diametre hose.

Can the siphon you’re currently using be adapted to fit a garden hose so you can try using gravity to suck the crap out of the gravel?

that's exactly what I use on my 6fter. self priming gravel vac connected to a 10 m garden hose straight out the door to my garden. no sucking involved so no mouth full of tank water crap. by the time I am done I have removed 50% so it doubles as a water change.

Got one that will adapt to a garden hose .didnt even think of that tried it tonight works a treat no water spilling from buckets what a bonus .

Then to top it off grabbed a new length of hose and slipped it over the under sink water filter tap just added a bit of hot to the mix to get a temp match only needed 1 bucket for the whole job its a win win

You can make a Python with a few bits and pieces from ebay and run it off a tap. I use a power head to return clean water to my tanks, I just use a power head in a bucket with a wide diameter hose, and pour declorinated water from one bucket into the power head loaded bucket. Works at treat.