KarenMick

First planted tank

I dont think that white gravel is best for plant growing, i would use layer of propagating sand from bunnings (unwashed straight from bag) than layer of washed sand. U can always sprinkle little blood and bone fert over the bottom of your tank before ypu put in the unwashed propagating sand to help plants thrive. Or if you like the gravel, u san add layer of it on top of the sand as well. The white pebbles are no good for growing plants unless there has been used before and there is loads of poop in it

You don't want all sand as it will compress and be hard for the roots to spread and the plant to grow.

It'll set up anaerobic bacteria if deep enough too which may or may not be something you want.

You will have to be careful that no sand gets into the filter as it will shred the impellor.

You want a good depth of gravel, at least 8-10 cm esp if growing swords...

Thanks I plan on mixing the sand with the gravel so it's not compacted also I am running a sponge filter so sand shouldn't be a problem.

I really appreciate all the feedback cause I think I know what to do but this just re-confirms what I think is right actually is. It's good cause I am always unsure especially when it comes to plants....

Thanks again guys and girls

Karen