rainbowrunner

Life in Currumbin Creek

Went for a run down the coast and decided to have a look at a few spots in the freshwater reaches of Currumbin Creek.
I had no traps or hand net with me (apparently I have enough fish already anyway) so I put the camera in to have a look instead.
I saw no ferals at all, only Ornate rainbowfish Rhadinocentrus ornatus, Australian Smelt Retropinna semoni, Striped Gudgeon Gobiomorphus australis, Freshwater Eels and various shrimp.
The eels were quite friendly coming up to have a look and rubbing their nose against your leg
Also a really strange looking shrimp, the colour of a bait prawn that has been left in the sun too long. any ideas? albino maybe? Edited by rainbowrunner

Once again, another great video Pete

Regarding the opaque macrobrachium in your vid, I often find a few every now and then when puddle jumping, seems quite common with glass shrimps & macrobrachiums.

A while back, Dave from Aquagreen sent an opaque specimen for a disease & parasite examination & the results came up with microsporidian parasites. I've read bacterial infections also cause opaqueness in shrimps.

Check out the link below, you can also see some opaque specimens I caught a few years back

Quartz Paratya (Paratya austraiensis?/Glass Shrimp)

Edited by netty_3164

What I have found is that the creeks north of the River seem in better condition than those south of the River, especially creeks that have Mt Cootha as part of it's catchment. Also creeks that have a high degree of a rocky base often lined with Brisbane Shist seem to be in better condition, perhaps because their is less opportunity for weeds to block the creek entirely as their is a lack of a soft bed for them to exploit. Ithica, enogerra, fish ,Moggill, Toowong, even Kedron brook ad Samford creek all seem in better condition than Bulimba, Jindalee, the Blunder & the upper Oxley .

I grew up in Sherwood and never saw a Rainbow fish as a kid, all our creeks were , short, lacking in altitude, weed choked, muddy bottomed and because Chelmer, Graceville, Sherwood and Corinda are effectively on a Peninsula hemmed by the river on both sides and the tidal section of the Oxley creeks, most of our creeks were tidal and brackish with very small sections of true freshwater. All we ever caught were Swordtails and Gambusia. The only other large bodies of water were in the Aboretum and only ever saw Ganbusia in there, although I now hear it is full of Talipia.

Once again, another great video Pete

Regarding the opaque macrobrachium in your vid, I often find a few every now and then when puddle jumping, seems quite common with glass shrimps & macrobrachiums.

A while back, Dave from Aquagreen sent an opaque specimen for a disease & parasite examination & the results came up with microsporidian parasites. I've read bacterial infections also cause opaqueness in shrimps.

Check out the link below, you can also see some opaque specimens I caught a few years back

Quartz Paratya (Paratya austraiensis?/Glass Shrimp)

great shots of the shrimp mate, love them

sweet it didnt look very deep in the vids !!! how did the colours of the rhads compare to that of other creeks youve caught them in ??

1 to 2 ft deep, sometimes the fish are in even less than that, they are just really hard to see from the surface, at first glance this spot looked like there was no life at all.