silverfighter

What do i need i have a bare tank?

Hi I have a 3 ft tank I am wanting to set up for shrimp and guppies once I transfer my fish to there new tank. I have loads of questions such as.....

what substraight do I use?

What do they eat?

Filtration?

Do they need air stones?

What types of plants are best?

Any thing else I need to know?

Ph and all that stuff?

Hi I have a 3 ft tank I am wanting to set up for shrimp and guppies once I transfer my fish to there new tank. I have loads of questions such as.....

what substraight do I use?

What do they eat?

Filtration?

Do they need air stones?

What types of plants are best?

Any thing else I need to know?

Ph and all that stuff?

Hi Silverfighter. in a nutshell

Depends of the type of shrimp you plan to keep. The 2 common shrimp are cherries (yellow, reds etc) or Taiwanese bees (CRS/CBS etc), with cherries being the easier of the 2 to care for.

For Cherries

Substraight- inert

Eat- bottom feed, algae, vegs bio-film

Filtration- dependent of number, but shrimp produce minimal waste when you consider a fully grown cherry is approx 30mm. I uses internal sponge filters

Air stone- hot weather , water agitation is key

Plants- moss for juveniles

Read, read, read,

Water perimeters (WP) is a topic of much discussion, some uses untreated tap water, others us RO water. pH 6 - 7.4 .

Try and match your WP, with the person you buy your shrimp off, if unsure, slowly drip acclimate. People talk about keeping Red cherries in a bucket outside, no air supply, heater, etc. As long as you keep then below 30 degree you be fine. Shrimp do better in shrimp only tanks, all fish will eat shrimp or their babies.