th3f0rg0t3n

do you SALT your fresh-water fish ?

just a quick survey to see what everyone does differently, perhaps you do add salt, perhaps you dont ?

i've done much reading both good and bad for the use of salt with freshwater fish, just want to know what everyone else does,

thanks for any input on this subject, maybe even specify the amount you use if so, and species or type of fish you do use salt with, tank size etc.

for&against are welcome : )

I use salt NaCl as a medication (salt bath)

The ONLY fish that I would add salt on a permanent basis is Endler guppies, mollies, blue eyes

as they are found in brackish water in the wild

I do add other salts to my Tang (shellie) tanks….but not NaCl

Edited by Rod

I used to use it but haven't done for a long time. No real reason for my change other than I figured fresh water fish don't get a lot of salt in the wild so why dump it in a tank where they can't get away from it! Salt doesn't evaporate so as your water does the salt concentration will get higher until you add more water.

Does anyone know if filtration removes salt? It's not something I've bothered to research but some others might find the answer useful.

standard filteration (eg. canister/sump) will not remove salts... water changes will dilute the concentration (assuming less salt in replacement water)

That right there suggests it should be approached with quite a bit of caution.

Have used it in all tanks from breeders to grow outs for at least 20 years on Discus,corys Ls,teras through to natives and Africans.Amount varies dep on sp and also water changes.but you do need to keep track of how much you use in each tank.

Never ever used salt in over 20 years of keeping freshwater fish.

This might be a stupid question to all you salt devotees, but what exactly are the supposed benefits and are they proven

or is it mostly heresay that's simply been adopted?

I think I might open a hornets nest here.

i dont salt. if the fish are happy i leave them

Well said Gotzy. It isn't a black and white situation and you don't need "scientific data" to justify stuff. Do your fish behave differently with added salt or no salt at all? Do they live to life expectancies? Do they get sick more or less?

Add salt, or don't. It doesn't matter if your babies are happy :)

Has anyone near the coast or a beach experienced car rusting due to high salt content in the air? You'd be breathing in higher salt content than other places and will experience no adverse effects.

Edited by Cudders