WhoWeR

Male Fighter fish - Dying or sulking?

Just wondering do male fighter fish sulk if the female wont mate with them?

My son put his two fighters together and nothing happened and a couple of days later the female destroyed his nest. So I took her back out.

Now he is standing on his head at the bottom of the tank, he only moves to come up for air and then he seems to be having trouble swimming.

He looks like he's dying to me (we don't know how old he is). But I thought I would ask if anyone knows whether he could be just sulking.

Thanks

Carl & Jenny

thanks for that but too late... :)

He carried on for about 5 days, we tried a few different things to see if he would respond but he would aways end up on the bottom either on his head, side or back. Then one night he started trowing a fit and going crazing around the tank and then float lifelessly too the bottom of the tank. He done that about three times when we decided enough is enough and put him out of his misery.

Thanks anyway

Carl & Jenny

Not a heating problem. We have a couple of males and a female in a divided tank with heating and filtration. All the others are fine. I think it may have been old age and my son putting the female in didn't help. I know they aren't young when they come from the shops and he had him for almost a year. He had not other signs of being sick before the female went it. I think just being old and the stress of being asked to "perform" :wink: was too much.

I had read about the heating problems with fighters. I feel sorry for the fighters when they are sold in the little tanks and the owners are never informed about the fact they are a tropical fish and need heating in winter.