n5750547

Co2 set up with Keg King bottle

Hello everybody. I just ordered a Keg King 2.6kg co2 bottle and I have a couple of questions.

1. Would a Tunze regulator suit? Specifically this one

https://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=3818&catID=58

2. What other accesories will I need to start off without spending a fortune? I'm thinking about getting a reactor for my canister but not too sure.

3. I've heard a variety of opinions about turning co2 off at night. I'm still undecided so any advice would be appreciated as I'm wondering of a solenoid is worthwile.

I work close to Age of Aquariums so thats probably my 1st choice for getting stuff but I have no issues with ordering online if need be.

Any and all help is much appreciated. Cheers

Phil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

You most definitely want to be turning your CO2 off at night.

Firstly, your plants don't photosynthesize when the lights aren't on so any CO2 you inject is completely wasted.

Secondly, as your plants are giving off CO2 at night if you add to it all you do is stress the environment and potentially kill all your fish.

There are several lines of thought on exactly when to inject your CO2 but most go for something like start time 20 minutes before lights come on and finish time 20 minutes before lights go out. The logic is this gives time for CO2 levels to rise so that by the time the lights come on there is a ready supply for the plants to use and likewise going off early allows the CO2 level to be somewhat depleted before the plants stop using it. It's not an exact science though so it's good enough to just set it on a timer to go on and off with your lights if you wanted. It's for this reason that you want a solenoid.

The link below may help a bit.

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/plants-co2-35/co2-dummies-request-101401/

You might hit up user beecees for a regulator, he had some earlier.

I modified a calcium reactor from a marine setup for my reactor. Basically a tall perspex cylinder inline with the canister filter. Water goes in the top and exits the bottom. co2 feeds in and floats at the top until dissolved. Needed to be (and is) absolutely silent as my tank is next to my tv.

I dont see the point of having co2 on at night. Isnt helping your plants grow then and might actually kill fish or even plants as they need o2 at night.

I have my lights and co2 on 2 simple timers. Lights and co2 come on at the same time, co2 turns off a while before lights go out so I dont waste co2 and it gets used up before lights go out.

Thanks for the info beencees. I read your info for dummies and it was very helpful. I'm going to turn the gas off at night as you suggest which leads me to my next question. Is it difficult to turn the gas on manually to the same bps it was previously? It's probably a difficult question but I'm wondering wether the needle valve keeps the flow to a certain rate once the main valve has been turn all the way open? Or should I just get a solenoid?

Cheers

You could turn off at the Bottle and leave the settings on the Reg. This "should" keep your bubble rate to what you've set it at. I think this will only change marginally with the pressure in the bottle, but that will be over time with such a large cylinder.

Take into account the waster CO2 and PH drops if you dont turn it off at night.

From the sound of it you are getting decent gear, just spend the extra few $ and get a solenoid and not worry about turning it on and off everyday.

As Hammy says, if you have a decent needle valve then the flow rate should not really vary with you turning the cylinder valve on and off but getting a GOOD solenoid really does make alot of sense. If you rely on doing it manually there is always the risk that you may forget one day, be away, be sick, whatever. One simple lapse and the consequences could be disasterous. A solenoid gives you peace of mind and consistency but in the end it's up to you.

I remember trying to do exactly what you are thinking of. I lay in bed thinking "did I turn it off" ... I lost too much sleep, after 2 days I got a solenoid.

My 2.6kg Keg King cylinder was lasting me a few months with about 8 hours of use per day. If you had it on 24/7 you would be using it up 3 times as quick. CO2 isnt expensive, but it would be a pain having to fill the tank every month / few weeks.

Alrighty, solenoid it is. Thanks again for the help. What do you think of in-line solenoids?

https://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6134&catID=58

I'm thinking of getting this one since I will be getting my regulator from AoA but I'm a bit apprehensive about having co2 tubing essentially becoming a pressure vessel.

I don't mind ordering elsewhere but I'm looking to spend less that 100 on the solenoid. Or I'm thinking a combo could be an option, maybe this one

https://aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6429&catID=58

All help much appreciated as I really want to get this right and not have to spend more money later buying the right bits and pieces.