Luke1983

Help with keeping my peacock bass fry alive

I need any advice on keeping my Peacock bass fry alive and growing

Any advice is appreciated. I have had my first batch going for 3 weeks now, I have been feeding them newly hatched live baby brine shrimp and pureed blood worms. They were going fine until Tuesday just gone they have been dropping like flies. after they became free swimming I took the parents out and on Wednesday I noticed more dying so with there water I moved them into a smaller tank (2foot) with just a sponge filter. The fry look like they are going weak, struggling to swim and dying. I have been feeding them at least 4 to 5 times a day minimum

parents bred in a 5x2x2 now they are in a 8x2.5x2

Thanks Luke

If your over feeding protein rich diets like artemia and blood worm, you can run into parasitic protozoan problems. You need to maintain hygenic conditions with high stocking rates even if your water conditions are good. I run golden snails as clean up crew as soon as fry are free swimming.

Do the babies writhe about and scratch before dying? Do you have a microscope?

Do they come to the top of the tank to eat? Possibly too try them in a smaller tank until they come to the top to eat?

with our africans we strip them when they are eggsacks with heads and tails then once they start swimming we put them into a small tank no deeper than 200mm so that they can get to the top to get food easier. Once they get bigger and are about 5mm in size and constantly coming to the top at feeding time we move them into a 2ft.

we have a 95% success rate this way and only lose maybe one or two once free swimming.

its hard to say we keep our babies in the tanks for a while our african fry stay in small tank until we know that they are all eating and hammering the food as soon as it goes in. maybe look at getting some small tanks for them ours are only about 10ltrs add one or two drops of methyl blue to stop fungus and we only feed ours 2 times per day and water change weekly.

I will see if i can upload pictures of our fry tanks and sizes we move them into 2 foots

If your over feeding protein rich diets like artemia and blood worm, you can run into parasitic protozoan problems. You need to maintain hygenic conditions with high stocking rates even if your water conditions are good. I run golden snails as clean up crew as soon as fry are free swimming.

Do the babies writhe about and scratch before dying? Do you have a microscope?

Hey Aquaholic,

Just wondering what the snails do exactly??? If they're effective as you say I will have to get some! Wouldn't they make waste themselves too though? Cheers for any insights and help (: really curious and interested in this!

A clean up crew, snails or a pleco will eat up any left over food sitting on bottom of tank, if this left over food isn't removed it'll go off and foul the water (ammonia) causing your fish to die.

Yes the snail will eat and poop stuff out as well but its not as bad as left over food.

Luke - the more you feed the fry the more they poop which means the water quality is affected, if you change the water 20/30% every 2 days you'll be ok, if running a sponge filter in fry tank, I'll be squeezing/cleaning it out in same tank water in bucket once a fortnight, especially if you are feeding them min 4-5 times a day, a single sponge filter cannot handle the bio load all the bass produce, maybe add another sponge filter if your tanks aren't hooked up to a sump.

and I wouldn't be feeding them lots of bloodworms when the fry are still small, the smaller fish have difficulty digesting bloodworms, they gorge themselves on worms and roll over and die, [MENTION=4918]trk18[/MENTION] he told me this and I have stopped losing fry to blood worms.

Wouldn't you need to add food then for those pleco/snails, should they not get enough food from the uneaten leftovers from the other fish??? [MENTION=521]tubbi[/MENTION]

They get plenty of food from the left overs

Best to get a pleco that prefers a meaty diet or pleco will get bloat lol, cos the food you are feeding bass is purely a meaty diet and if you throw in a veggie pleco that's just asking for trouble.

If your bass are big like 20cm plus then you can use a big pleco like a sailfin, gold spot or common pleco to match the size of bass so the pleco won't get eaten plus bigger plecos stomach can handle a bit more meaty foods than smaller ones, and also drop in some veggie wafers for the plecos once in a while when lights are off to vary its diet as well

To reduce cannibalisation, feeding the fry until they are too sated to move/predate can work and this will reduce growth rate differences which will further reduce cannabilisation. However when overfeeding fry to saturation, a lot of their poo will contain undigested fish food so having cleaners that will eat fish poo is a good idea to improve hygiene and to reduce your workload. Un-eaten fish food especially artemia which will also encourage parasitic micro-organism populations to occur which will kill fry rapidly. Cleaners will also reduce this. I personally prefer snails as they won't harm fish fry even when the fry are wrigglers, sick or sleeping. Snails will eat fish eggs though.

I use the large golden snails (aka mystery snails) because they are easy to breed in numbers yet easy to control/remove. I put them in as small babies and they grow rapidly which is a bonus by-product at the end. Having cleaners grow large is sometimes needed as fish fry can grow fast too and eat other cleaners. You can manually siphon and wipe down grow out tanks with a sponge too if you have time.