All the other fish are fine only the rainbows are doing it, there are 18 other fish and also shrimp

How big a tank?

I've lost a few wild-caught Crimson-spots in the past that acted similarly - given that sucking air can be a major warning sign of low dissolved oxygen concentration or ammonia/nitrite poisoning, I immediately suspected fluctuating parameters in the tank, although on testing found that everything was in order & other fish in the tank seemed to be going about their merry business. The Rainbows seemed fine for the first hour or so after transitioning to the tank, & then went downhill from there over the next hour or so...mottled colouration was also present over that time.

I suspect that sometimes (for a whole range of reasons, & despite best efforts of salting water to reduce osmotic shock & supplying supplemental oxygen with battery air pumps etc), some rainbows just don't transport/transition particularly well, & the stress causes a fatal build-up of toxins in their system :noidea:

Its a 4 footer, I lost all my last ones due to not climatising ect thought they would be ok but this time I kept them calm in the bucket with some vegetation kept them in the shade and didn't disturb them at all, when I got home I climatised them properly gave them a feed, only time will tell I guess

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

Put them in a Styrofoam box with enough creek water that they can swim around, then over a 24-48 hr peiod, use an airline on a very slow drip feed drain in enough water to fill the box. I usually do it into the intended tank that will be their home and place a 20 litre bucket of aged dechlorinated water that has been salted up high, I connect the bucket end to a sponge filter for weight and add an air tap on a slow feed. Should be sweet after that. Gently Aerate the water obviously.

I had a heap of plants floating in the bucket and only had a couple casualties on the way home, that's where I lost most of them last time, only lost a couple in the tank this time

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

I had a heap of plants floating in the bucket and only had a couple casualties on the way home, that's where I lost most of them last time, only lost a couple in the tank this time

Do you salt your water during transport? When you're out catching next, try mixing in one teaspoon of salt for every litre of water you have in the bucket - although, make sure you get uniodised natural salt, & not just off-the-shelf table salt. It helps wild-caught fish with osmotic shock during transport, & drastically lowers their risk of fungal infection & subsequent transfer of similar to other fish in your tank. Also an idea to look at oxygenation on the trip home (battery operated aerators can be picked up from Target in the fishing section for about $15), & watch temperature fluctuations (don't leave out in the sun while collecting or leave in the car while you stop at Maccas on the way home).

I have a small black bucket with a lid with two small holes in, through one I have an airline connected to a battery powered pump, the other to relieve the pressure. Black is better as it calms the fish down, for the inital catch. I Use salt as everyone says and then transfer the catch to fish bags. its a good idea to then put them into a fish box with a black bin liner inside the box, this keeps the catch calm. Get em home and use the drip method and you should have minimal loss.

All the parts you will need you can get from Bunnings

in Watering Accessories and Hose End Fittings

3mm air line tubing

3mm elbow

3mm tap

Just look for mirco sprinker parts

Yes it does work by syphon

Just put the short hose in the tank open tap fully give the long hose a suck

put the hose in a bucket and turn the tap off until the flow rate you need is

required

post-11502-14711631083665_thumb.jpg

post-11502-14711631083803_thumb.jpg