prawnstar

Exploding tanks batman

Actually sounded like a BBQ gas cylinder had exploded.....

Cheers ninja may take you up on the offer.... Got some mess to still clean up (mainly under the house where the water has gone thorough the floor boards) then I've gotta make a plan of attack

Sorry to hear that Prawnstar, I have a few spare tanks and heaters if you need em. Just curious why you would need a heater on at the moment, its not exactly chilly ? And non of those critters need a heater at the moment if at all ?

This is just like the the Dambusters raid. They found that a small amount of explosive against a wall under water was more effective than a large amount of explosive on the dry side of a dam wall. You let the water pressure do the work for you. Doesn't help you though, its just interesting physics in action.

Has that heater ever been used in a marine tank ?

I wonder if a some condensation formed in the heater unit, combined with some residual salt that reacted with the copper in the heater element producing Chlorine gas and a spark from the thermostat switching on in that confined space of the heater tube combined with the water pressure.

You get chlorine gas in a swimimg pool chlorine cell by passing salty water over copper plates, but the chlorine passes into the pool and no pressure is built up. It's just a wild guess.

Bam, miniture Mohne Dam without the Lancasters and flak towers.

Edited by grubby

Hey guys, pro aqua was the brand. Has run fine in the past. Not sure as to why the blow up .......

Only put them back in the other day grubby, due to a couple of colder night we have had out here, has gone 15/16 overnight.... So thought I'd pre empt autumn/winter night time temps.

I think the plan from here is the honeys are going to the front pond and I'm gonna set up a couple of 1 ft shrimp/plant cubes int the place of the 2 ft tank.... So will have some bits for sale in dry goods over the next couple days. The likes of a eheim 1215 and 2 ft light and some tank bits.... Thanks for the offers of help guys, much appreciated....