Bud_da_stud

Africans vs Americans

Hi everyone I'm almost ready to start buying fish for my tank. I'm new to chiclads I'm after people's opinions on Americans v Africans

What are the pros and cons of both? Which would you choose and which fish would u recommend?

Thanks

chic lads

A new one.

Love it!

That aside, how big is the tank?

needs to be big for yanks!

depends what you want to keep.

what i advise is you have a squizz arround the net, and find pictures and info on the fish you like

come back and tell us what you are interested in then that gives a better chance of finding something you like

theres a lottttt of africans..

How many fish could I fit in a tank of this size

Hey mate I set up an African tank in January, its 6x2x2. I have about 18 in there and I reckon I could fit another 10 no worries, I used white sand substrate and some dead coral I collected down moreton bay. It looks sick, with Africans make sure you have a good filter as there a bit messy and keep the water changes up. Also a good light will really bring out there colours, here's what I put in mine so far...

2 electric yellow

2 female solousi

1 male solousi

1 electric blue peacock

1 male venestus

2 red zebras

2 lithobates

1 rusty peacock

2 yellow peacocks

1 cobalt blue

1 maingano

1 flameback

1 crimson tide

1 dragon blood peacock.

Maybe google a few of these and see what you like. Here's an old photo of mine, I'll put up some more after I give tank a clean.post-10831-1471163106461_thumb.jpg

can you collect coral like that "legally"?

I think you can if its for personal use, a council/fisheries guy said g'day to me as I was collecting it. I think he would of said something if I was in the wrong

6x2x1.5. More after something that's gonna look good lots of colour and active fish

I would look into a lovely lush green planted tank full of rainbow fish or large schools of brightly coloured south american tetras. Just one or two species, not small numbers of everything.

I think you can if its for personal use, a council/fisheries guy said g'day to me as I was collecting it. I think he would of said something if I was in the wrong

oh ok thats interesting

Nonetheless that tanks looks really nice have you got a full shot of it?

6x2x1.5. More after something that's gonna look good lots of colour and active fish

Based from your above statement you may like Africans, or a tank with some discus\angels with some schooling tetras.

As other have said google the different species and pick your favourite.

oh ok thats interesting

Nonetheless that tanks looks really nice have you got a full shot of it?

hey bazz , thanks mate ,nah I haven't yet , I'll put one up on the weekend when I give it a bit of a clean. cheers

Are Africans less aggressive

All cichlids have at least some serial killer traits........... even among the pacifist hippy species, you get the odd individual with a taste for murder.

The amount you can add in depends on several things.

1) aeration, if you have too many fish, on a hot day, and not enough oxygen, then the biggest ones may die.

2) filtration, if you dont have enough bio filtration you will not be able to feed enough food.

3) motivation, the more fish you add, the more food you have to add, the more they poop and the more frequently you need to water change and clean filters.

You could happily have at least 30 African cichlids in your aquarium if you were to partial water change once a week.

Adding less will make it a lower maintence aquarium.

i would go south americans some GEOs they are a great fish nice to other tank mates if you go the Africans get tangs or could even go with a africa river tank

I have never kept tangs, besides some of them being shelldwellers why are they so sought after? They dont appear to be cheap either, but I am assuming that is because they are not easy to breed.

I have never kept tangs, besides some of them being shelldwellers why are they so sought after? They dont appear to be cheap either, but I am assuming that is because they are not easy to breed.

Their price is directly linked to the price of silver on the stock market I think.

#tangconspiracy