G'day all. I had an opportunity a couple months ago to (hopefully) get a clean line of Convicts crackin :)

I took 1 of my Uncle's old males, nice old fella (his stock came from an old school breeder down south I think) & 1 of my cousin's females (nicest I've ever seen, sooo much orange, his stock came from a Tweed LFS), threw them together & got these guys:

(Please excuse crappy pics, only have iPhone cam)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48026[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48027[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48028[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48029[/ATTACH]

I haven't much idea on what to look for in nice convicts (let me know if they're crap & they can be feeders) but I think these are nicely shaped, barred & even some colour coming through (they're only 10-15mm long atm). For anyone who may be trying to get them back to what they used to be or something close, these younguns may come in handy ;)

Since my phone was smashed for a while I didn't get a chance to get snaps of the parents (which are now in a pond in Bundaberg breeding feeders for turtles) but those who know me know I don't BS. Mother was bout 6cm, no broken bars, no imperfections (that I could see) & really orange on the sides & plenty through the fins. Male was bout 15-16cm, again no broken bars or imperfections I could see & had a nice green tinge to him.

I only kept bout 30-40 out of the 100s they had (no room to grow that many convicts >_<) but if anybody wants a couple, let me know (not after $$$ or trade, they will be free when ready to go to new homes, just had the opportunity to maybe help a few convict enthusiasts :D)

More pics to come as they grow :)

post-9752-14711631081621_thumb.jpg

post-9752-14711631081779_thumb.jpg

post-9752-14711631081953_thumb.jpg

post-9752-14711631082146_thumb.jpg

post-9752-1471163108231_thumb.jpg

Btw all above pics are with an OLD diy led light that's lost its intensity & penetration. Next lot of pics I take I'll put a decent light on their tank...

they are good feeders, you should keep them and give the fry to your bigger fish (if you have any) atleast you know they'll be disease free and raised on whatever foods you want.

I was under the impression that you couldn't use Convicts due to their spines but always assuming this was just more BS that makes up about 90% of the info on fish keeping lol.

I enjoy walking the beaches seeing hundreds of dead floating fish that had choked on fish spines.

Good work with the convicts

Would have been nice to see the parents

Give them another month or 2 to colour up

I have a similar project….just about to remove the best pair from the brood to go again….

Mine have thrown 25% pinks

perhaps we can swap some blood down the line?

Don't think anyone has given convicts much attention over the years….not a lot of careful line breeding

They can't be imported so we need to look after the stock we have

If you're interested Rod you can have some, not interested in breeding them myself it was just an opportunity that came up. I know they're awesome fish, hugely underrated, but I've got too many projects on the go as it is.

I just picked the nicest old male in amongst all my uncle's cons, then put it with my cousin's female (only did it because she was so awesome & he'd lost interest in her, knowing how slim the gene pool is atm thought I might be able to help ;D).

My uncle has the pair (his old boy & cuz's awesome girl) in his pond up in Bundy breeding feeders for his turtles. May be able to get him to catch em out & take some pics when he cleans his pond next?

Anyways, next time I'm headed to Bris (probably not for a couple months) I can drop you some mate, no wukkas :)

I was under the impression that you couldn't use Convicts due to their spines but always assuming this was just more BS that makes up about 90% of the info on fish keeping lol.

I enjoy walking the beaches seeing hundreds of dead floating fish that had choked on fish spines.

Already fed the other 150odd fry to my fish with no dramas, didn't have room to raise 200odd cons

Also heard another tale of "Rhino Jaw" from feeding fish cherry shrimp but I've never seen it myself, I feed my cherries to all my lil predators when the cherries get out of control numbers wise. No probs yet...

Perhaps 1 or 2 dumb fish that dunno how to predate properly cause these tales/warnings to start? In which case "survival of the fittest". Good to remove "slow" fish from the groups?

they are good feeders, you should keep them and give the fry to your bigger fish (if you have any) atleast you know they'll be disease free and raised on whatever foods you want.

Yeah quite a few of my fish were extra chunky for a couple days ;)

Chucked them together in hopes of nice fry knowing there's some convict enthusiasts out there & figured this would be as close to a "clean line" as possible for them. Couldn't raise 200 odd though, not enough room...

Edited by BigPete86

Already fed the other 150odd fry to my fish with no dramas, didn't have room to raise 200odd cons

Also heard another tale of "Rhino Jaw" from feeding fish cherry shrimp but I've never seen it myself, I feed my cherries to all my lil predators when the cherries get out of control numbers wise. No probs yet...

Perhaps 1 or 2 dumb fish that dunno how to predate properly cause these tales/warnings to start? In which case "survival of the fittest". Good to remove "slow" fish from the groups?

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/qld-shrimp-trader-classifieds-139/cherry-shrimp-50-$20-91275/

Rhino jaw: The long nose on the fish buckles up from eating the shrimp :boink:

I know the explanation but I've tried a quick google or 2 over the past couple yrs & come up with nothing definitive.

They eat shrimp in the wild? (At least the species I keep anyway).

I'll keep feeding young cherries until I see proof, be it in my own fish or someone I know...

Removed

Lol. Just another wives tail I guess. I was told to use a minimum 10mm glass for oscars as they will smash through anything less. Maybe if the oscar had a friggen laser beam attached to him....

Lol Oscar smashin glass, maybe a 3mm lid lol.

Dovii or similar I'd be goin 12-15mm depending on tank size but Oscars are sooks, even if freaked out I can't imagine an Os gettin enough speed up to smash a tank.

I have 8 breeding pairs of convicts including 1 pair of albino/pink convict, most of them are from a good blood line and looking good, Nice colors. I just breed them for feeders

and sell them to ppl which are looking for good convicts.