silverfighter

What do I do to drift wood from creek?

I would sterilize the hell out of it. Hit it with a good gernie blasting first then soak in a big esky or bath tub with a reasonably strong bleach mix for a few weeks then try and get the bleach out with more soaks constantly changing the water over a few more weeks. It will probably be full of bad stuff so do not go by the looks of it. I did that and i still got snails that came from no where. You really have to go overboard with the washing the bleach out, it still keeps coming out and you will get sick of doing it. You will smell it if it still has some in it, and it looks a bit cloudy. Or you could boil it. No easy way around it. I even had a piece sitting in full sunlight for years as well and put it in a tank and got snails and some weird deaths. Personally i like the boil method, just hard to do with big pieces. I know a guy who puts it in his pool for 6 months or more and it seems to work. I highly recommend not being over confident if it looks clean, deep inside is all the nasty stuff.

What about a big blast with a gurni the local carlovers at midnight is a good trick if you dont own your own and a chlorine bath using chlorine granuals in a tub and keep topping up the chlorine for a week or so ? That would work wouldnt it? Instead of bleach

If you're close to the beach ,why not try there? Somewhere rocky where the driftwood gets stuck.

That's where I get all mine. I'm regularly amazed at what nature gifts me.

I get some really nice hardwood that's had the benefit of the ocean's salt.

No need to worry about nasties; just rinse the salt off if you think you need to.

If it doesn't sink right away boil it .That'll get rid of any tannins (not harmful) as well.

I also tried to pick up some driftwood that was actually drifting around when i have been out on a boat fishing. Most of the time it was pretty rotten and full of little bugs that look like dark aphids. I don't think i would like those crusty pieces in my tank. I have found that the lower stretches of creeks that come down from mountains that get occasional flood waters through them are good where all the timber will accumulate on bends. You can get big piles all in the one spot and take a saw to whatever has a nice shape to it, and they can be pretty fresh as well and full of tanins which should stop the bacterial count from being excessive. As far as i know bleach is chlorine, just don't use the scented stuff, or use pool chlorine to keep the cost down.

Lol. Love the dish washer factor. Thank you I actually found a really nice half log piece but it's 3ft. So I think boiling is outa the question unless I can get our cast iron tub to a boil. I love my outside bath. We are on a huge property with about 4 km of creek thru it so might be possible I'll let u know how I go unless there's another way. Not to keen on the bleach idea.

I guess the next question would be about weight. My tank has 12 ml glass how heavy is to heavy?

Most things don't weigh much more then water once they are in the tank, some of my bits were 15kg or more and the biggest challenge was getting them in the tank without dropping them. One of the best methods I've found for bits that are too big to boil etc is use a gurni/karcher on them as it strips off all the flaky stuff and can get pretty much all of the critters and other unwanted things off.

I believe the main motive of boiling other then sterilising is it expels all the air from inside the wood helping it sink.

Sent from my who cares using Tapatalk

Pressure hose it then put it in your bathtub when your wife isn't home, run the hot water and let it soak for a while, rip it out hose it down again and clean the bath before the lady gets home

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

Your right but anything from creeks etc are bound to be full of parasites and fungus and whatever bacteria was handy. Don't be surprised when your fish start dying or if your lucky only a snail plaque, i highly recommend a bit of sterilizing, you can wipe out your entire tank in a few days.