bazz

Neolamprologus similis Community Tank?

Hi Guys,

I have a 4X2X2 tank with 9 Neolamprologus similis in, I purchased them from discus_noob (adam). They hover above the shells all day so there is ample swimming space above.

There is about 20KG of river stone and about 30-40 shells on the bottom half of it is covered in sand the other half in rocks/shells.

They are a breeding colony, I am new to tangs so I am unfamiliar with tankmates aggression etc.

I would like to know if I can add tankmates to the tank without them trying to kill one another. Preferably open swimming fish. If so which tankmates are sutiable?

Cheers

Bazz

Probably best to go with a species of Leptosoma or maybe Paracyprichromis nigripinnis

Maybe you could keep ventralis instead but just depends on how the simils settle in

If you've got some rock piles then I'd suggest julidochromis and/or gobies such as eretmodus

Got any pictures of your setup?

I imagine the similis take over the entire floor space?

I have used small rocks in a stack just for the smaller fish to hide in. Around that pile is lots of shells.

I can add/remove whatever is required to keep the fish happy

Thanks for the input guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by bazz

Ah okay I see

Is there actual space between the rocks for fish to get into hiding places?

otherwise you might need to use larger sized rocks

If you got some more larger rock piles then you'd easily fit some gobies - eretmodus for example, nigripinnis, julidochromis and leptos... you might even be able to put in some sandsifters pleurospilus or melanostigma for example (some sandsifters would be better choices than others)

All that depends on how your fish are acting, the spaces you create, the numbers you get etc. since every tank and fish is different

Haha there is so much more to these little fish then I expected. Where do you get escargot shells from eBay? Or any other preferable shells?

And do you breed the fish you mention above? [MENTION=2023]shon982[/MENTION]

Haha there is so much more to these little fish then I expected. Where do you get escargot shells from eBay? Or any other preferable shells?

And do you breed the fish you mention above? [MENTION=2023]shon982[/MENTION]

Yup everything that I mentioned

Shells, not too sure to be honest

I got neothauma shells which are from lake tanganyika sent to me by a generous person for free so I got lucky with the ones I have

You missed out. At the auction I got a bag of Julidochromis transcriptus, 4 off for $25. Best buy at the auction.

Transcriptus and ornatus are the dwarf julies and a great addition to the rockwork. Cyprichromis are a good idea, not the jumbo types due to tank size. You want a small school.

I would encourage, look at your water parameters, Tangs like real hard water. I love the Seachem stuff to make my water sweet, but there are other options from DIY, to a range of hardeners.

Tangs include more variety than "the other lake", otherwise known as "the evil lake" or if you prefer Lake Malawi..... Aggression varies, but the secret is create a tank with a shell area, rock, sand and open swimming and you can have fish to inhabit all the different sections.......

p.s. I got snail shells from my local deli. Just check they have no varnish.......

Edited by gingerbeer
Added info on shells

Ah okay I see

Is there actual space between the rocks for fish to get into hiding places?

otherwise you might need to use larger sized rocks

If you got some more larger rock piles then you'd easily fit some gobies - eretmodus for example, nigripinnis, julidochromis and leptos... you might even be able to put in some sandsifters pleurospilus or melanostigma for example (some sandsifters would be better choices than others)

All that depends on how your fish are acting, the spaces you create, the numbers you get etc. since every tank and fish is different

I will grab more shells online unless there is a LFS that sells them. They are fairly cheap if you know where to look online.

I have some lava rock so I will pull out that mound of river stones and throw in the lava rock which will allow lots of hiding places for some of the fish you mentioned above.

[MENTION=2023]shon982[/MENTION] do I need exposed sand or can the bottom be mostly shells and lava rock?

In my opinion….

there are a few tangs that are quite different…..

Multies,similis,Julidichromis,telmatochromis,L brichardi

They are all step breeders….if you start off with 6 fish in a "species only" tank and provide relevant shelter,(shells,rocks)

you will end up with a colony of fish of all different ages and sizes

Sure you can do the traditional community thing with a mix of species…..but there will be interspecies predating of fry

A colony of step breeders is spectacular

If you are stuck on mixing species then minimum substrate and shells 3/4 deep for a couple of square foot or so(high rise apartments….in the wild shells are meters deep!) for L similis at one end

and a pile of larger river rocks (creating lots of caves) at the other end for a colony of julies

with Cyprichromis taking the open water?

Edited by Rod

http://www.qldaf.com/forums/photography-video-lounge-23/adams-3-foot-tanganyikan-tank-65751/

that was my community tang tank. It worked for me (no fish loss or too much aggression), although I wish I had more room (far too cramped I admit) aka a 4 x 2 x 2 or larger as it would have been far better choice with more room for my fish.

Do you still need more shells Bazz? I may have some more spare I could drop off.

Also you have endless choices of fish to fill that tank with mate, would love to see some nigripinnis in it or maybe even a smaller species of leptosoma.

vy2u3ygy.jpg

Thanks for all the input guys much appreciated. Gives me lots to think about.

I have done a basic rescape, I'm not a fan of symmetry would prefer one large rock pile to the left and spread the rest of the rocks and shells over the sand. I figured if I split the lava rock up it would create more seperate territories spreading aggression. There is hundreds of hiding places amongst the river stones/shells below the lava rock.

For now I will leave the fish be to settle in and potentially multiply, since the rescape they are swimming around much more freely.

I have noticed the males fighting occasionally and they are so fast and vicious.

Would this rescape be more suited to a community tank if I go down that path in the future?

Nah all good Adam thanks for the offer though :) I have lots got some from bunnings $5 for a bag of mixed shells.

Cheers!!

Unfortunately I couldn't find anything that would be much help

but here is my display tank which I'm working on (7x2.5x2.5)

IMG_20140316_171437_zps9avelzeg.jpg

Basically, I have a few rock piles and a bit of open sand as well... from your picture, if you wanted sandsifters then I'd have a bit more open sand

I've got some julidochromis and gobies in there at the moment but Tropheus are going in next

I guess it doesn't really help but your scape is perfect

I'd be looking at nigripinnis, leptosoma OR ventralis, julidochromis, gobies

Can fish fit inbetween the river stones? to me they look like flat pebbles?

Nice size tank you have!!

The small river stones only allow fry and smaller fish amongst them, I have done this to allow the fry (if any) to hide to survive. I figured the similis can hide in the shells and lower areas and the nigripinnis and whatever else in the lava rock/ open water.

I like the look of the nigripinnis and leptosoma would like to add them.

As far as aggression goes are the similis more aggressive then the above?

yeah more aggressive but they usually stick to themselves unless something gets close to their shells

Nigripinnis are thought to be the most peaceful tang you could ever keep in a tank

leptos, males can get a bit aggro towards each other but that's about it

And whats your thoughts on gobies, julies and also maybe callochromis melanostigma for example?

But yeah, start with one species at a time and then go from there