I run diyco2 in my tank through a powerhead, can i run it through the canister filter instead by simply getting the bubble sucked ip the intake then chopped up by the impeller inside the canister then put back in the tank via the outlet???

Sent from my RM-821_apac_australia_new_zealand_218 using Tapatalk

The glass difusers don't really work well with the diy systems and don't really have the cash to spend atm, so do you think my idea will work, i know it will look alot better just haviing a tube running into the tank without the big power head sitting there

the best way to run DIY CO2 is throu a reactor. Try replicate this:

https://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6133&catID=58

its really simple and doesnt waste any CO2, and can be made out of just about anything

(i used to use an empty fish food tube with a bit of sponge on the bottom of it to stop

anythign trying to get out) but the tunze one works amazing and looks nice in the tank :)

I have a 1lt jim beam bottle for my mix, that goes to a pickle jar half full of water (bubble counter) to filter the co2 bubbles then it travels to the tank into a internal filter through the impeller which chops the big bubbles into hundreds of little bubbles, might just give my idea a try see what happens

You definitely can.. I did for a while once, but at the start of a mix when mine was making lots more co2 I got air pockets in the canister filter. That's easy to rectify by shaking the filter and the bubbles come out :) but so does canister sludge :( most of the time it's no problems!

You definitely can.. I did for a while once, but at the start of a mix when mine was making lots more co2 I got air pockets in the canister filter. That's easy to rectify by shaking the filter and the bubbles come out :) but so does canister sludge :( most of the time it's no problems!

cheers

i wouldn't because :the bacteria in your filter is aerobic and need's o2 to thrive, not c02, i would and have bought an ista inline c02 reactor from The TechDen and it go's on your return pipe to the tank, they work a treat.

Ok so not a good idea, i did see things like you are describing on ebay last night, was thinking that the canister intake would be a good diy thing that wouldn't cost a cent, i think i will just run it off the internal for now, thanks

I actually checked ebay cos i saved it in my watch list and its exactly what your talking about, Ista turbo co2 diffuser reactor. Couldn't find this particular one on the tech den website but on ebay it goes for $33.99, do you know the price from the sponsor

I actually checked ebay cos i saved it in my watch list and its exactly what your talking about, Ista turbo co2 diffuser reactor. Couldn't find this particular one on the tech den website but on ebay it goes for $33.99, do you know the price from the sponsor

That price - if it is the one that I am thinking of is from Taiwan which is pretty cheap...

But not as cheap as we have them...

Ista CO2 Reactor - helps to dissolve CO2 into your aquarium for your plants

Sorry it was not up when you looked - just added it - we still have so many items to add it is not funny.

Oooh nice price, cant afford it at the moment but does that include postage, im in tbar

Postage is extra - $7.50 no matter how much you order anywhere in Australia and do not forget your QLDAF discount off that price of all the items you get too.

Found a recipe online using jelly to hold the sugar, the yeast works its way through the jelly eating the sugar as it goes, started last night and production was very slow but this morning it was kicking out a steady 1-2bps going through my counter, this solution is supposed to last over 1 month without petering down as opposed to 1-2 weeks petering down after a week, we will see... Has anyone else tried this and what was your thoughts

I'm running diy c02, but using coke bottles as they don't explode and put glass everywhere. Basically a 2 litre bottle with sugar,yeast and baking soda recipe I found online, running into a 600ml half full of water into a Fluval diffuser, which is basically the same as the ista.

You need to.run a bleed off valve for night time as at night the plants release c02. And absorb oxygen which can create problems for livestock, also if your running c02 at night you will get pH fluctuations.

Cheers mick

Edited by smicko

I have to say the Ista reactor that [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] sells is the bees genitals ;)

I was running a standard diffuser (internal) before switching to the Ista reactor (external) and the difference I noticed straight away was overall evenness of pearling on all plants. Awesome bit of kit.

I been running DIYCO2 for quite some time now never bled at night and never had problems with livestock suffering, i was using just the yeast and sugar mix but it never really lasted over a fortnight and it usually slowed right down after a week, i saw the jelly recipe and made it, so far good bubble rate, now just a waiting game to see how long it lasts, i will keep you informed