Problem:- I think my discus may have hexamita. I have noticed a few of my discus with clear stringy poo, they sometimes spit out their food and aren't eating as much as normal. I think some of them have gill flukes as well, have tried treating with praziquantel a few times but fish are still displaying signs of gill flukes plus now have clear stringy poo.

Ph:- 6.4

Ammonia:-0

Nitrate:-20

Nitrite:-0

Gh:-8

Kh:-1 (have recently added coral to filter to help buffer water)

Size of tank:-200 litres

Temperature °C:-30 degrees

Been running for:- 5 months

Filtration:-Canister/Sump/Internal Filter/Sponge:- fluval 306 canister

Fish in tank:- five discus, four corydoras and some black neon tetra

Plants in Tank:-none

Feeding:- What food and How often . freeze dried black worm, hikari discus pellets,hikari frozen bloodworm. Fed three times day

Recent Medication Treatments:- praziquantel

Last water change:-today

Water change every Day/Weekly/Monthly. 50% twice a week .

If they do have hexzamita what is the best treatment? Metronizadole?

Hi mate, try some kusuri wormer plus, not sure if any of our sponsors have it, but it is very good for Discus.. Well from my experience anyway. We have tried all sorts of wormers, and white/clear stringy faeces is a possible sign of worms. Dose the tank a few times to make sure you get the eggs as well.

Cheers

I have found Trichlorfon is the best for gill fluke. White stringy poo is "fish diarrhoea" and not necessarily worms etc. Stress of some form - poor water quality (some town water) etc etc

Start with treating Gillfluke IMO

Cheers,

Shaun

Thanks Shaun - I do have some aquasonic paragone which has 32mg of trichlorofon in each tablet. I have been to scared to try it as it says on the directions that temp should be 25 degrees Celsius and I wasn't sure if that would stress them out?

Is it ok to drop the temp to 25 degrees in a discus tank?

I wrote to the company aquasonic and they suggested I try half the recommended dosage at first?

Could you please explain poor water quality to me? If all water parameters are in check is it still possible to have poor water quality?

Edited by vgunn

I don't drop my Temp, but add more aeration, though. ie airstones. Water quality includes all dissolved chemicals in the water. Some townwater contains more chemicals than other areas, fish can also suffer when people are continually juggling their water parameters too, IMO. For me, I try to maintain as much stability in Discus water as possible, by adding the least chemicals as possible. Town water filtered through charcoal units and heated to a similar tank temp, when doing water changes. Stress on fish also comes from other areas, tank placement in the home, high or low, shadows falling on the tank, tank lighting, co2 use etc etc. There are a lot of variables, but thankfully, its usually not that hard. Feel free to ph me on 3349 0611 if you need to discuss this further, as I'm not always on line

Cheers,

Shaun