Nafe420

Canister to rack?

Maybe a very silly question but has anyone ever used a canister filter for multiple tanks on a rack?

I'm planning to build a 6ft, 3 tier rack and the whole plan is to sump the entire system together. Looking at just over 1200 litres in total. I personally think a sump is the only way to go with this volume but was just curious if anyone has rigged an fx5 or similar to a rack or is it near impossible or ridiculous?

Just that the idea sounds good to keep that media out of sight.

Also while I'm here, what size sump and pump l/ph would anyone recommend for this sized system? It will be housed in living quarters so I want maximum filtration with no chance of overflow.

Looking forward to some suggestions and feedback.

Thanks again people :beer:

Too be honest with you I dropped the idea of a sump for several reasons. 1 I didn't want the hassle of having to drill my tanks. 2. I keep fish of different water parametres 3. i use a looped section of irrigation piping connnected to a large air pump which I can tap an airline into easily . 4. Sponge filters are cheap. I have a 3x3 rack and didn't want to lose a tank space to a sump 5. My garage where my tanks are stored is fully insulated and does not need heating, so a centralized heater in a sump is no longer necessary.

Yes it can be done... but only works with gravity overflows. You cant balance flows with taps. You can suck from the bottom tank, outflow into the top tank and overflow to cascade the water down to the bottom (via a middle level if you want) by gravity. Most canisters are not designed for high vertical pumping but will do it with reduced flow.

Doing multiple tanks on the same level is also possible using inverted U bridges (syphons) between tanks (but it all goes pear shaped if one siphon bridge gets airlocked).

Just design it as a normal sumped system but the canister replaces the pump.

IE top overflows to middle, middle overflows to bottom, canister pumps from bottom to top.

Alternatively top overflows to middle, middle overflows to bottom, canister 1 pumps from bottom to middle, canister 2 pumps from middle to top.

Downside is the bottom tank cant be filled to the ideal level as you need room for overflow. Lots of combinations though.

I have tried a 2080 to run a 2tier 4ft tank. It has dual inlet so each tank gets one and the outlet pumps at the top to overflow on the bottom tank. The tank has drilled holes and plumbed together. I also have sponge and eheim pick up filter on each tanks.

I currently separated the tanks and used 2215, pick up filter and a few sponge on each tank. Both tank is running with just feeders until I can afford something to put in there.

fx5 is more powerful to pump water up a 3rd tier but you need to plumb the tanks together so gravity feeds water to lower tanks.

Maybe a very silly question but has anyone ever used a canister filter for multiple tanks on a rack?

I'm planning to build a 6ft, 3 tier rack and the whole plan is to sump the entire system together. Looking at just over 1200 litres in total. I personally think a sump is the only way to go with this volume but was just curious if anyone has rigged an fx5 or similar to a rack or is it near impossible or ridiculous?

Just that the idea sounds good to keep that media out of sight.

Also while I'm here, what size sump and pump l/ph would anyone recommend for this sized system? It will be housed in living quarters so I want maximum filtration with no chance of overflow.

Looking forward to some suggestions and feedback.

Thanks again people :beer:

Yes it is possible depending on what your objectives are. On my first fishroom about 30 years ago I used a single powerhead to centrally filter 50 x 2 foot tanks. (You can use a canister instead of a powerhead). The pump being on left side (vertical arrow) on image below. I added some gravity fed filter trays between tiers since I only had a powerhead and also wanted to maximise my use of electricity. I used water bridges and home made overflows since I didn't have a glass drill back then.

Photos only showing dry tanks unfortunately.

bridge.jpg

DSCF3364Large.jpg

overflow-1.jpg

A central filter has the advantage of allowing automated water changes, spreading of thermal mass if you heat the air in the room and maximising growth rates. With small efficiencies you can save time which allows you to have more tanks! Pretty basic but a cheap effective system. Home made lights, tanks and stands etc. I was 14-15 at the time so money was tight but that fishroom had almost 200 tanks. Including my very first 6x2x2 ( ha ha).

Thanks heaps for your input people, very helpful!

Overflow gravity feed was the plan all along with a drilled hole in the back of each tank and the bottom tanks being higher incase of a power outage. If I was to use a filter it would be an Fx5.

Whole idea is to minimise the canisters I already have running, most of my fish have the same water parameters so should work out well.

Thanks again.

Yeah thats my main reason behind it, water parametres, I've currently got Hardwater central americans cichlids, softwater rhadocentrus ornatus and honey blueyes and brackish water Pacific blue eyes and Ambassis Glass fish on my rack. A sump is well and truly out of the question.

i have been thinking the same for a while , im going on holiday and thinking best and safest way to filter the tanks for a friend to look after i have a 2400 aqua one needing a small repair and hope to use that , got a while to play about with it , also let me know how u go nafe mate ,

No worries Thomo, really thinking the FX5 will be ok, just thinking a sump for the extra water content. But hey its worth a try. I believe most aquarium related things are more trial and error than opinions.

Have the canister ready but yet to build the rack. Not something I'm rushing into, want it built properly so maybe 6 weeks til I'm ready to try filtering.