So I got a five foot tank in January and fitted it with an external canister filter, an aqua one 1050 series. This ran fine for 2 weeks then slowed to a trickle, since I was away for work my mates who was looking after my tank just shut it off. So I cleaned it out (no blockages found) and it worked fine for another week or so then slowed to trickle again. Got rid of that one and bought a fluval 306 which was missing the rubber seal, once I went back to the shop and got the part it then wouldn't seal correctly, took it back and they couldn't get it to seal either, neither did the replacement one, ended up getting a refund.

So is there any good canister filters out there, am I just having a nightmare? or are they all just garbage?

Cheers

Travis

What’s that? hahaha but really I don’t hear it and it’s in the lounge room and right next to our bed room. I have the spray bar out of the water so if there is a noise it might be masked by that but even when I clean it ( I did for the first time in 6ish months the other day) I didn’t think it made any noise. It’s a dreams to clean, just turn off the taps and pull the hose out and it unplugs no mess, cleaned it plugged it back in and it self-primed and was running normally in seconds. I can’t say enough good things about it, my 406 on the other hand P.O.F.S lol ill never buy anouther fluval filter

I brought an otto 450 from the tech den for under 150 delivered , It does 1800 lph and is quite as a mouse, it keeps my 6x2x2 with 20 odd Africans crystal clear, I couldn't recommend it enough. Parts are easily available also. cheers

Edited by dna

I think canisters can be a bit of a hit and miss. I grabbed one of the cheapy 2200LPH

ones off ebay (less then $90 delivered) even came with media and a 9w UV lamp.

Was so good i grabbed another one for my 4x2 and the only thing thats happened in

2 years on the both of them is i broke one of the plastic rims that holds the O-ring

in place. nothing a little super glue couldnt fix ;)

But to be true, all companys have a dud here and there. You should ask a big retailer

about failure rates (speaking of, anyone know someone in the bussiness? :eyebrows: hahahhaa

I have been very happy with my eheims. Bought a new 2215 in 09 and never had any leaks or flow issues. the impeller motor(magnet part) did break in Jan this year but nearly 5 years out of it was pretty good I thought. Replaced the impeller and it's working great.

I also have a second hand 2213 that I bought in 2010 I think.

It's been great and haven't had any big problems with it. Did replace the shaft thing soon after i bought it, but no leaks or anything an no problems since.

It would be a few years older then the other filter.

I like them as there very simply to use and have consistent flow. Only thing I would love would be automatic re- primer thing, if that exists... but didn't wanted to spend a small fortune on a filter.

Edited by Ashleigh_g

Eheim all the way, Im running 2x fluval FX5, 2x eheim 2215 and a fluval 406.

Fluval 40 range sucks for leaks, vas is the only way to control that but apart from that they are great filters and easy to clean.

Eheim classics are awesome, never had a problem, simple but effective design and only problem I've had is a couple of clips break but even then seals great.

FX5s are perfect on my 6ft community and 5ft festae tanks. Could never fault them apart from the screw tops may break the plastic underside if done to tight.

Reason I never go for cheapies is the life expectancy, lack of biological filtration and the power consumption is usually ridiculous.

Invest in eheim or an FX depending on your tank size.

EHEIM, every time. i have owned nearly the whole range of eheim filters, from the small internal pickups to the professional series canisters.

i have NEVER had a problem with any of them, the only time the flow would slow down is if i failed to maintain them enough.

as said above, cheapies come with some pretty crappy media, which i would personally always replace.

really not worth it.

i think some of the eheim externals are excepted but most come with substrat!!!!!!!! best. media. ever......

get what you pay for i guess.

ohh germany, you have done it again

post-7819-14711631153936_thumb.jpg

I love my ehiem but recently became interested in the aquael filters. I bought one of the smaller ones as a back up for my ehiem and I love it! Feels like quality and is so quiet, will be keeping an eye on the aquael range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to fit in with most other comments, go with the eheim. i have eheims on all my big tanks, and eheims submersibles on my sumped setup. some of the cannisters are 5-10 years old and i have never had to replace any parts. i have filters from 2215 through to the professional series and they just keep goin. back in my earlier days of fishkeeping i did try a couple of cheaper cannisters and they ended up in the bin where they belong. you get what you pay for with eheim. I am not sure if the smaller (classic range) come with the substrat pro media any more but it is not that expensive to buy it seperate anyway. AOA and Tech den have some pretty good prices on eheim gear