billfish

cichlids-going to thedark side

Ok so after some ear bashing fro. The wife about why i dont buy more colouful fish after getting some electric yellows for a mate at last weeks auction i think i may have to venture into the deep dark side.the thing that gets me is i had discus for years ! Obviously not colourful enogh for her?????????????

I dont really want large versions and not sure if i want malawi or tangs

already in process of setting up a shellie tank

sort ofthinking along the lines of

yellows

salousi

comps or calvus

strawberry peacocks

cant fit 6-8 footers

am i wasting my time?

any suggestions

I went Malawi and personally think there the best looking freshwater fish money can buy, I have a 6x2x2 with a large stack of dead coral, white sand substrate and about 20 Africans. Everyone that comes to my house loves it. female salousis' are amazing aswell as

maingano

yellows

red zebra

cobalt blue

venestus.

You could fit 10 - 15 in a four foot easily. I aslo have a large red zebra im giving away if you want it.

Here's an old photo of mine when I first set it up. ( it looks different now )

post-10831-14711631148785_thumb.jpg

first off what size tank have you got? that is the first and foremost obstacle.

Peacocks are brilliant, some nice fish and show plenty of colour without getting (too) large.

to be honest unless you are looking at going full tanganyikan then i would stay away from the comps/ calvus.

The two lakes

The two lake are actually very different in many ways. Despite popular opinion the water of Lake Malawi isn't really all that hard.

GH - 4 to 6.

KH - 6 to 8.

pH - 7.8 to 8.6

Conductivity - 210 - 220.

Temp - 72 to 82F.

The water found in Lake Tanganyika on the other hand is very different.

GH - 11 to 17.

KH - 16 to 19.

pH - 8.6 to 9.5.

Conductivity - 606 - 620.

Temp - 76 to 82F.

As you can see from the above stats, the water properties are quite different from the two lakes. YES you COULD house them together but i tend to not recommend it.

BUT

IF on the other hand you do want to go down the route of tangs :eyebrows:

you could make one hell of a tank. I'm not sure if they are more appealing to you, but its my personal preference as apposed to malawi cichlids.

Your options are really only limited by tanksize, assuming that you have a four foot thats a decent size to start at.

could go for some of the fish from the neolamprologus side of things.

0000000327_1.jpg

start with the tank size, then we can see. definatly not a waste of time. i have already turned to the dark side. no cookies, only tangs.

first off what size tank have you got? that is the first and foremost obstacle.

Peacocks are brilliant, some nice fish and show plenty of colour without getting (too) large.

to be honest unless you are looking at going full tanganyikan then i would stay away from the comps/ calvus.

As you can see from the above stats, the water properties are quite different from the two lakes. YES you COULD house them together but i tend to not recommend it.

BUT

IF on the other hand you do want to go down the route of tangs :eyebrows:

you could make one hell of a tank. I'm not sure if they are more appealing to you, but its my personal preference as apposed to malawi cichlids.

Your options are really only limited by tanksize, assuming that you have a four foot thats a decent size to start at.

could go for some of the fish from the neolamprologus side of things.

0000000327_1.jpg

start with the tank size, then we can see. definatly not a waste of time. i have already turned to the dark side. no cookies, only tangs.

What type is this guy

Looks like a full on fact finding mission coming for me

i may even bore a few of you with questions so i apologise in advance

dont know which lake i may try but tangs are leading the way

dont want to jump in without having my head around what they need to thrive not just survive

IMO those albino strain bred alounacara's look sickly... The pure looking A. stuatgranti look fabulous though! (im a Tang guy but can still appreciate an impressive fish!)

4 x 2 is an excellent footprint for a mid sized colony of the smaller sand sifters. (although they are quite sensitive species and require immaculate water conditions, Shon could fill you in on the details about these. i havent had first hand experience)

Species like Callochromis pluerospilus and Xenotilapia papilio should work fine.

Then a nice sized colony of Cyprichromis leptosoma of choice. the Kigoma variant are particularly pretty.

Then maybe a Julidochromis ornatus, transcriptus or d*ckfeldi pair to hold a rock pile?