th3f0rg0t3n

Does ROUND-UP Scare or Worry you ??

Let's say theoretically your neighbour decides to let loose with a type of round-up poison around the perimeter of your home,

To the extent, when you arrive home your lungs and nose has a burning type of ache sensation.

Windows are all open in your house and there's a very decent chance the wind has blown some of this along inside...

Is there a chance that this can affect your fish when using Airpump's, internal filters that also have air driven functions??

Or am i just being a FISH NAZI :noidea:

Here are the MSDS sheets for RoundUp so you know what your are dealing with.

Materials Safety Data Sheets

Might pay to add the carbon and do water changes as if it is in your tank the water change may help dilute/remove some of it and would try the carbon - do not think you will find that macropore or purigen will help in this situation.

Thanks [MENTION=1338]The Tech Den[/MENTION] , would you assume that the cloth filter that is in the SERA for example air pumps would keep this out of the water ? all tanks have hoods on etc

but can never be too safe, and only existing otto internals that i have and use do have filter wool inside before the air intake,

just cant help but worry a little, i plan to have a good chat with my neighbour as soon as i can get hold of him about future use.

yeah good idea, im hesitant to even do a water change at this point in time as i dont even want to open up my tanks and possibly allow any particles from outside inside them,

will be sure to do 50% water changes on all tanks tomorrow, dose heavy with easy life as i go around.

FINGERS CROSSED :nono:

bloody elderly inconsiderate neighbours!

One of those type of neighbours, retired, nothing better to do then plot along building/fixing thing's in his back shed and keeping the area around his house clear,

Behind our properties is a council easement type of thing with abit of forestry and such, so he takes it upon himself to clean up that back area and such.

Really quite frustrating that he has done this as when i still step out on my back verandah i can still smell/taste the stuff in the air, Has me quite concerned.

I'm really hoping nothing will come of this.

But thought I would seek other people's personal experiences with this type of problem, I mean it has to have happened to someone else on here...

That's the type of feedback I need to hear about now :amen:

Will be keeping a watchful eye on them to be sure old man has not done any damage to them.

But will commence the 50% w/c's tomorrow with a high dose rate of easy life (oh what an excuse to grab another 5L bottle of easy-life)

Yeah if it's that strong, I wonder has he been using it straight?.. Maybe you've just got a strong sense of smell.. If he's used it in the right ratios you should be fine. But that sounds pretty full on if you can smell it like that..

Yeah my sense of smell is fairly decent, i can smell the shower on the other end of my house if the exhaust fan isn't switched on LOL,

And i would expect him being elderly and could be somewhat used to the smell of toxic thing's like round-up would be immune to it,

Bit of a guessing game as to how it will play out, as i certainly dont want to be opening tanks/filters this soon after the event, but tomorrow is a different story@!

Will be keeping my FINGERS CROSSED.

Due to the billion$ involved in the global sale of round up, its been a protected species.

Buuuuuuuuuut recently there has been a few papers on the fact its use tends to mirror a sudden local increase in kidney disease in human populations.

acute_kidney_disease.gif

hospitalizations_kidney.jpg

kidney_disease1.gif

Personally having walked around in nurserys and tree plantations with a leaky backpack tank filled with glyphosate........... I hate to think how much I have had soak into me skin or inhaled.

Probably not so bad short term for fish......... be more worried about aquarium plants growing themselves to death.

Dramatic Increase in Kidney Disease in the US and Abroad Linked To Roundup (Glyphosate) 'Weedkiller' - Waking Times

One of those type of neighbours, retired, nothing better to do then plot along building/fixing thing's in his back shed and keeping the area around his house clear,

Behind our properties is a council easement type of thing with abit of forestry and such, so he takes it upon himself to clean up that back area and such.

Really quite frustrating that he has done this as when i still step out on my back verandah i can still smell/taste the stuff in the air, Has me quite concerned.

I'm really hoping nothing will come of this.

But thought I would seek other people's personal experiences with this type of problem, I mean it has to have happened to someone else on here...

Hey just a thought mate but have you gone over and had a chinwag with old mate so it doesn't happen again?. Couldn't hurt surely.

Did all 50% water changes today with as mentioned earlier HUGE dose of easy life / prime , all fish seem to be happy and healthy which has me feeling alot better!@!

- still haven't managed to get hold of the neighbour to have a word with him, but his time will come anyday now :black_eyed:

Hey mate, whilst I am classified as a plant expert, I am not classified as a plant care expert - So my advice thoughts probably mean no more then anyones. but hopefully this will put your mind at rest a little.... herbicides. pesticides etc always concern me sprayed around fish etc without covering the tanks... But whilst we worry and can smell it realistically your neighbour was hopefully responsible and sprayed when there was no wind and spraying low growing weeds etc . .. Whilst its unsettling and there is a smell am thinking that you should be all good if you have a responsible neighbour. In saying that I would have a chat to him so if anything similar was going to happen in the future he would discus it with you. Becareful with water changes if using hoses that could be close to fence lines and contaminated etc...

Thanks for that [MENTION=7267]Karen[/MENTION] , Unfortunately there was a decent wind blowing yesterday after the event but I did notice it could have been helping (hopefully) pushing the spray/fumes elsewhere,

I did notice him using a BACK-PACK type sprayer and being elderly highly doubt he was bending over in any way to reach what he was spraying lol,

and lastly, i too thought the same thing whilst doing my waterchanges today about possible contamination from the ground/area where my hoses go both front/back yard, i treated it very carefully when doing the actual water changes but as of now after laying the hose down the yard to neatly fold it back up and place inside, i might just need to give it a good bath with a boiling kettle a few times to play it safe ?